Potholder question

When I make pot holders I always add a plastic ring and stitch around it for hanging. I air dry mine but it occurred to me the ones I'm giving away may be thrown in the dryer, do you think those plastic rings can go in the dryer?

Same thing with the CD hot pads, I love them but I haven't made any yet. I'm wondering how the CD holds up to the heat of a hot dish or pot. I have seen some patterns where the CD shows through the top design with a solid back.

I don't think the heat from a dryer would be enough to damage it. The only potholders I make, I just CH 10 or 12 for a hanging loop. But I have seen a pattern I'd like to try (looks like a mitered square) that calls for a plastic ring. IDK about CDs.... I would think they can take a lot of heat; just think about how hot it gets in a parked car.

I crochet a circle in the corner because of plastic melting and because I'm cheap....rings cost and never seem to find them when I need them, as for the cd's...I've had them warp in a hot car, not a bad warp....just where you can't play it so I would test that idea out first,say with a towel between the cd and a hot pot

I rarely use the plastic rings since I never hang mine. They are usually tucked away in a drawer -- no need for the ring. In the past I have done as RoseRed, and chained to make a loop, then sc in the loop. Looks just as good as the plastic rings and no need to spend the extra money.

I agree with everyone. I've never used plastic rings. I just make the chains alittle longer so I can hang it on anything in the kitchen. About 15 or 20 chains.

If you single crochet around the chained loop, it makes a pretty firm and sturdy hanging ring. I push the stitches as close together as possible, then slipstitch the last sc to the first.

I have a hard time finding those plastic rings, too, then decided the crocheted ring would work just as well or better. :hook

I usually slip stitch along a chain loop (through the chain's back bumps). As far as plastic rings, though, I doubt that the dryer will melt the plastic rings under normal operating conditions. After all, plastic shirt buttons, baby pj's plastic snaps, kiddo's vinyl appliques and such make it through machine drying just fine. -Not sure about CDs.

Archived