5 People

buggaboosmommy

I just had an idea and wanted to share it with ya'll..maybe get some feedback. I posted awhile ago about my Christmas goal of making 50 wheelchair totes and I know I can do it. But I was thinking...Thanks to Marla who gave her box of granny squares to me (can't wait to get them) I have tons of ideas. So..I'm going to take the squares, along with some I have made and piece them together to make small lapghans and shawls. These items will be given to our Veteran's on the base we are stationed at.

So..with the lapghan's, shawls, and wheeltotes...I was thinking of posting a "request" for crocheted socks, slippers, mittens, and hats. Just five of each would make a difference. For example, if I could get five volunteers to make a pair of socks, that's five veteran's who will have warm feet this winter....five hats means five warm heads and hearts!

So..what does everyone think? Do I have any volunteers? I KNOW everyone is busy with their own projects so I don't want to "force" you into anything. If it doesn't work out this year..I'm going to try again next year. I'm still making the wheelchair/walker totes and the shawls, lapghans.

Feedback would be GREAT!

Donna

Thank you, both of you! We live in a very large Veteran community and since my husband works at the hospital it will be very easy for me to pass these items out this holiday season. My children and I usually make cookies and hot chocolate to take around the hospital (that is what we did in Germany) and we made hats/mittens for the incoming wounded soldiers in Germany. This year..it will be about the Veterans who have came before!

I'm so excited..I'm starting the wheelchair totes today.

Donna

Hi there - I would love to make a hat or two - I have a great pattern.

Just let me know where to send it!! Might be a month or so.

Keep up the great support for our troops!

:bounce

Hilarie

I have a crochet pattern, knit pattern and sewing pattern for them. I'm not sure which one will work out better. But a wonderful crochetville pal suggested I add a "cup holder" in the tote...like a pocket for a bottle of water. I thought it was a wonderful suggestion!! So..I may try to work my own pattern and see how it goes!

Donna

• 2 years later...

yes...... are you still doing this?? I would like the walker totes pattern......the sewing one. My grandson (just turned 8) knows how to sew on a sewing machine. This would be a great project for us to do together. He uses the small sewing machine. Let me know plz

Although I am not as active as I was in 2005, I am still able to deliver donations to the base hospital and VA Center. I'm currently training for a marathon and going to school, so I am not at the hospital everyday..but pretty often!

If you are interested in donating, you are welcome to send wheelchair totes. Also requested from the VA, is the small tissue holders (men and women). You are also welcome to send hats or scarves.

For more information, please send a private message.

Donna

Archived