I am....Round Ripple Challenged!!!!

melli

Question

This has been ths single most exasperating thing I have ever done! It is puckered. Not a nice smooth blankie at all! I have frogged it TOO MANY times and am simply ready to pitch it all in the trash. Am I the only one who suffers with this? :think

:think Have you checked the pattern on the site you got it from?

I have just remembered that when I printed my copy off the site, it missed a bit of the right hand side of the page. This could be what is causing the confusion.

I did not have a problem because I had just done a straight ripple pattern so knew the theory of how it would go.

This is just a suggestion because it seems odd to me that so many people are having the same problem on a simple pattern.

Let me know if this is a possible solution.

Have fun.

Colleen.:cheer

the problem lies with round 3 and yes it looks ok but when you do round 4 it starts puckering up. the pattern should read *sl st so that you do a sl st after each 1 dc ch 2 1 dc in order to have only 12 points instead of 24 which makes it pucker. i had to :frog it and do round 3 again and now it looks good. :hook

I realize I am probably too late with help on this, as I was out of town. Still, for the record and others starting one of these blankets, I have to put in advice. I have made three of the round ripples and love them. I have not had any problems with curling. I agree with the recommended advice in the above posts -- round 3 as above and then always count because it is easy to miss the first stitch on the downhill side of the ripple. If you follow the directions exactly, it works.

The only other thing I thought I would mention is that I use a Susan Bates size I hook, 5.50 mm and Simply Soft worsted weight yarn. This size is larger than the original pattern calls for. I did it because I wanted the blanket soft and drapey. For yarn, I use Caron Simply Soft which is a soft worsted weight. The baby blankets have come out soft and drapey. I can't help but wonder if that softer drape keeps it from curling up.

Stitchinpick

:ty for your help with this pattern i have now frogged the last few rounds and started round 3 again correctly and now on round 6 and looking good. :hug:hook it is looking pretty too. so glad it has been sorted out right now. :clap

Thanks for the quick reply, now that makes sense, again I rreally get upset when patterns are posted wrong. and not clear on what is what. I think someone should rewrite this correctly and post it. stating Correct round ripple pattern!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, if the * is suppose to be before skip 1st st. then does that mean, skp next st after each cluster. this is so badly written I just hate that, and this is such a cute pattern.

I am still confussed, cause why not skip a st after each 1dc ch2 1dc, do we skip all the around or only the very first st, (which is a dc, so why not say skip dc)??? I sure hope someone can help this old lady. I really want to try again, but after 5 times, I have given up.

I also had the same problem when I attempted to make this. The first 3 rounds would work great and then after that, it wouldn't lay flat no matter what I did and the pucker got worse with each round. There was another post here somewhere, and I can't find it now, that mentioned that the pattern had an error in it. I don't know if anyone ever posted what the error was but when I saw that, I decided to try again and started experimenting.

The error appears to be in round three, where you're supposed to repeat from * around. That * should be before the skip stitch instead of after, at least if I remember correctly. I'm at work so I don't have the pattern here to look at and the link to the pattern on the internet doesn't appear to work anymore. As soon as I made that change, the pattern worked perfectly and I was able to complete the afghan and it stayed flat.

This was definitely a frustrating pattern to work with but once you get it, the end result is absolutely beautiful. Everyone I know who has seen the one I made for my nephew has asked me about making one for them or someone they know. Everybody wants one!

I wish somone would rewrite this pattern to read correctly. I think I am a pretty good crocheter, I have restarted this several times, and the thing puckers, this should not happen. So I restart. After round 2 suppose to have 24 dc, no problem there, but now on round three it would be nice if they stated how many (actually v stitch) one should have. Also confussing because it states, ch 3, SKIP 1st st(should say dc) and then why or why not skp stitch anywhere else???? on that round. Being there are only a few rounds then repeat, why not state how many spaces etc there are, or dc or something. I got fed up with it. And if it is to pucker until the end then state so. This would help with the frustration. If anyone knows of another free pattern on round ripple please let me know.

i think i know what you mean there and i was not sure the first time round if i was supposed to use that stitch but it was puckering and i think i did. i will have another look again and see if i can work it out again. :ty:hook

I think,:think what a lot of people do not realise, is that when you are crocheting in the round, without turning, the stitches look different because the loops you are working into look like they are BEFORE the actual stitch where-as when you are doing rows, the loops you are working into look like they are AFTER the actual stitch.

Because of this, when you are doing the Round Ripple, there is a stitch you need to work into, immediately after the point, which gets hidden by the stitches done in the point. If you miss this stitch, you will not increase on that side of the pattern and your work ends up WONKY. This could cause it to pucker and end up looking like a very large hat.

I am not sure what is happening to make it wavy but as you say, it wont show when you are using it.

I have just completed the Round Ripple in Rainbow colours and it looks lovely and flat but I have to admit, there were times when I was guilty of missing the first stitch after the increase but thankfully noticed before I went too far.:hug

It is frustrating trying to help from this far away so maybe you can go to your favourite yarn or craft store for some one-on-one help.:hook

Have fun.

Colleen

lol...this is funny! I tried the round ripple, and after 3 frog sessions, i chucked it! This is the ONLY pattern i've ever tried that I couldn't do. it got the best of me.... :) no matter how often i counted the stitches, it always came out looking "wonky" after about 15 rows or so. I moved on. maybe one day i'll try again.

I always ended up with one side of the points increasing faster than the other. i read the pattern letter by letter, to no avail.

:think :think :think Have you checked that you only have 12 points?

If not, go back to the start and take out 1 stitch in the first round. It makes a huge difference. There should be 12 including the CH3 at the beginning.

Also, make sure you are following the alternating rows with no increasing on one round then two rows of increasing.

When I started a striped round ripple, I did my colour changes on the round with no increase (the 1DC 2CH 1DC) and I was not checking all the time to see what row I was on. This gives you 3 rows of each colour. Mine sits very flat, done exactly to the pattern.

I did 3 rounds in red at the start, then 3 orange, 3 yellow and so on through the rainbow. To make it big enough to be useful, I will repeat each colour again in the same manner.

There is a new baby boy in our street so I will finish it for him.

Have fun.

Colleen.

If I had a brain, I would be dangerous.

I just picked up my crochet and it was on a no increase round and realised I had confused it with something else. I have just changed the bit in brackets from 2DC, 2CH, 2DC to 1DC, 2CH, 1DC. The 2DC is the increase row.:think :think

5.30 pm Tuesday 9th August. It is not the middle of the night here.

well i started another one to see if it was any better and the first 3 rounds were great. round 4 was getting too much and not laying flat so thought i would try 2 dc and ch2 and 2dc in next st around which did lay better but left me with bigger hole spaces. :confused

I had the same problem when I was trying to use regular WW yarn, but as soon as I changed to a baby weight(or sport weight what ever they call it) It went along great. i must have frogged it 20 times before I switched yarn.

The round ripple pattern does sit flat, but I had to read the instructions a couple of times to see where it was going.

Row 1: I would have written as CH4, join with a slip stitch, CH3 (to stand as 1st Dc,) work 11 more DC into the loop. Join. 12 DC.s

Row 2: Ch 3, work 1DC into base of CH, 2DC into each DC to end of row, Join. 24 DCs. (Make sure you do not work an extra stitch at the end of the round because there is always a little gap you can be tempted to put a st into. This is fixable but would be confusing if I try to explain it now.)

This will make 12 points on the afghan.

If you did row 1 as the pattern, you could have 13 sts in the first row which will become 26 on the 2nd row then you get 13 points and the afghan goes frilly.

You will see that row 7 does not increase any sts, then rows 8 & 9 do so when you repeat rows 7, 8 & 9, you are increasing on 2 rows and not on one.

If you still find it is going frilly, only increase on one row occasionally.

Have I confused things even more????:think :think :think :think :think

Hope not.

Have fun.

Colleen

If you are doing a round shawl, you may be increasing too often.

:( Pull it undone until you find where it sits flat, then work alternate rounds with NO increases and put ONE more stitch between each increase on the other rows. Put some little gold pins at your increases so you can see where they are. You will notice they end up like a spiral. This is how it should be.

Be prepared to change what you do from time to because you dont want it turning into a large beret either.

If necessary, do two rows with increases and one without.

The pattern is only a guide so if you think it is NOT working, STOP and start again. There is nothing more frustrating than thinking :think it will come right then you find after 3 days work, it does not.:eek

Your instincts are usually right.:cheer

Have fun.:hug

Colleen.

PS If you are doing the round ripple, you are possibly doing the very first bit wrong which sets your afghan up to get too big, too soon. I did the Beths Star and that is great but I have noy tried the round ripple. I will give it a go and see what happens.

what pattern are you useing? I used this one http://web.archive.org/web/20021003082720/www.angelfire.com/tx5/angelcrafts/roundripple.htmland finished in a day and a half, I am in no way an experienced crocheter but the nstructions are so great and easy to folow. My dh walked by when I was almoast through and cocked his head to the side and said hmmm, thats really good, it actually looks like you know what your doing, and walked away, and then I hit him in the back of the head with a remote. :devil I know that sounds bad but im really usually a very good natured person, as his face turned red i blamed it on hormones and promised it would be better in 2 weeks when I deliver the baby :angel Any way, if you aredoing this pattern there was aperently a problem with rnd 7, I dont know what it was, I was just told that after I established the pattern to just skip in the same place and shell in the same place every time and it came out fine.

:hey i am glad to know that you have the same problem i am facing too. i have now completed the 8 rounds so far and it still is puckered but decided to keep going and see how it maps out. it is a pretty pattern. i tried a pretty shell shawl but could not understand it. :confused

Archived