yarn ball winder?

Does anyone have this http://www.amazon.com/Boye-Electric-Yarn-Ball-Winder/dp/B002VRF7HQ/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1 electric yarn ball winder or any other winder? I've seen the manual ones where you crank it like a jack in the box, and to me that kind of defeats the purpose (still putting labor in your arms and hands). The electric one is more expensive, but if i hear from several people that have it and enjoy it, then I might concider it to be worth the money.

thankyou for your feedback :hook

At the advice of my crocheting friends I purchased a small manual winder from JoAnn's using the free shipping special they had going plus a 40% coupon - so the already reasonably priced winder was a great deal - which is good as my budget was small.

It works great and will wind about half a pound of yarn comfortably on it's spindle which is quite a bit!

I also have a much larger jumbo winder - which I bought of eBay = I thought it was a deal a couple years back as it was less than half of a new Jumbo winder - I would NOT recommend purchasing one there - as when it came parts were missing from the base - which contained the tension portion of the machine. It still winds but I also had to repair the gear mechanism myself.

That being said - if you could get the jumbo one new - it is really great at winding an entire pound of yarn in one neat large cake - "birthday cake" sized.

I am glad I am getting use out of mine - even though it is definately a compromised version of the real McCoy :)

The jumbo winder by Royal is pricey but I think if you are looking to wind in a continuous large quantity - it would be the way to go.

Other wise the smaller one (which is Royal) as well from JoAnn is nice. (They have 2 - the blue and white one that clamps to the table top is a Royal - the other Red and white one is not)

I have a manual winder, and it must have gears inside because the yarn ball spins around much faster (maybe 6x as fast) as you wind the handle, so it really doesn't take much effort or time to wind up a whole skein. I really enjoy using mine because it's so fast and easy, so I'd say that unless you wind hundreds of balls, the electric winder may not be worth the extra money. Just my opinion :)

I have a manual winder, and it must have gears inside because the yarn ball spins around much faster (maybe 6x as fast) as you wind the handle, so it really doesn't take much effort or time to wind up a whole skein. I really enjoy using mine because it's so fast and easy, so I'd say that unless you wind hundreds of balls, the electric winder may not be worth the extra money. Just my opinion :)

I agree with planetjune, I have a manual winder and it works great, not a lot effort required, and I love the size of the balls. I use mine all the time and it really is great for the price:hook Hope this helps:yarn

I, too, have a manual yarn winder. I really like mine as it does not take much effort to hand wind a ball. It winds faster than the speed that I am turning the wheel. In another post here in Crochetville someone posted they had the electric yarn winder but did not like it as it went too fast. It was easy for the yarn ball to get messed up. Soon after reading that I got my manual one. I just love it. Sure beats making balls entirely by hand.

I love love love my manual ball winder....I have 2 willing and quite carefull children who will wind yarn for me for fun! :) ( yarn addicts in the making) I love the neat yarn cakes that are produced, for fine yarns I use both loose ends at once so I can work 4ply yarn in two strands at a time and that equals dk or sports weight. :) yarn cakes are great, they do not roll about on the floor when you work with them as they have flat bottoms! :)

I recently got a electric ball winder after holding out for a long time thinking it was just another gadget I really didnt need. Well now I dont know how I lived without it, I love it! It makes the cutest little yarn cakes ever. I have found it to be a great stress releaser when life has got me down.

I too have a manual ball winder, and LOVE it, I seriously don't know how I lived without it. I have never tried an electric one, the manual one is so easy and fast, I never really thought about an electric one.

I should have mentioned that I got the one that the OP posted a link for. It was a bit of a splurge even after being on sale and using a coupon ($60)

thankyou for your wonderful feedback. I think i've decided to try a manual one. My budget is tight and alot of you said its not really that much effort :-)

thanks! Becky :-)

soo went to joann's in ontario today (yarn was a mess) and saw the electric one...no manual. well as the manual requires it to be clamped onto a table and i am not sure i have something in the truck that would do...i got the electric one by boye/simplicity...so far i've tried it out twice...love it...i am rewinding all my non-center pull skeins!

also got the yarn-tainer by snapware and some yarn sleeves...sigh i love gadgets!

Archived