Found on the Internet

:cheerThought this would be of interest to the people of Crochetville.

I found this on a New Zealand Newspaper site.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/3515514/Nerdy-crochet-wins-weird-book-award

I thought it was interesting that it has made it to the news on the other side of the world.

Not too keen on the title though.

We are not Nerdy are we and is it a weird book or just a normal book?

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Not sure I like the title of the article either! I don't believe that crocheters are nerdy! I think it is actually kind of interesting , not wierd what she has done-although way above my head- I never was good at geometry and hyperbolic planes LOL

I think the nerdy reference is about the mathematics involved. "Nerd" or "Geek" are both commonly used for mathematical or scientific people, and as the mother of a son in that category, I can tell you I'm not offended, and neither is he. There's even a prime time TV show (Big Bang Theory) that makes fun of the nerdy scientist type.

Interesting article!

Thanks for sharing!

:ty for posting the link for this article. It was interesting to read it. I just like to crochet. Never thought of myself as "nerdy." Just a "Happy Hooker." As for as TV programs with "nerdy" math/science people, I love Num3ers. I find it fascinating how the character Charlie Epps uses math to help solve crimes.

Thanks for sharing this.

Personally I have retaken the Nerd-word, and joke about it often.

But in this case I too think it refers to the math.

I have seen several mentions of this award. At least this article takes the book seriously; its author seems to have made an attempt to discover what the the book is about. (Only the headline uses "Nerdy".)

There is a strong affinity between mathematics and crochet. I got my college degrees in math and computing and often think that my early start in crochet helped me along in those studies.

Archived