bernat white crochet cotton

I made a nice christening dress using bernat white crochet cotton #10 thread and a #6 hook. I took 8 weeks to finish and I thought it looked pretty good. I went in to buy ribbon so I could finish it and noticed that the thread was not a true white. I don't know how I didn't notice it before. I don't know what to do with the dress now. I can't find ribbon to match and the dress looks incomplete without it. I would look terrible if I tried using white ribbon with it, that is how obvious the color difference is. I wish I would have noticed before i got the dress done, but I do keep my house pretty dark. I am throwing what is left of this bernat away. If I buy white I want white not whatever this color is. I don't even want to look at this dress either. I don't even feel like I can give it away. I have even lost interest in making any new dresses especially if I can't get the colors I need. I hope nobody else has had this happen and I warn anyone who wants to use this thread.

Even if you buy the same brand of thread (any brand) that aren't the same dye lots, you can have this problem. It's amazing how many shades of white there are. Some threads don't list dye lots, so you are stuck. The balls might look alike but when you work them both in the same project it can show (ask me how I know :( ).

Maybe you could use pink or blue ribbon depending on the christenee? Then no one would notice that it wasn't white.

I would try using a pink or blue ribbon that way you wouldn't notice it so much. It's usually hard to match whites--you'd think there would be only one white, but there's not.

If you really want it to be white white then bleach it. If it's going to be ruined for not being the right color then - it could help.

Or you could take the dress to a fabric store and see if you can find a ribbon to match it.

Aw, Shannie, I can imagine your great disappointment after all time you put into such a major project. :hug To a lesser degree (tiny projects), I found out that a white yarn standing alone can look so white, but putting it up against another color, it shows it's true color -In my case a dingy grayish tinge *blech* I ended up redoing 8 bi-color towel holders using a labeled off-white.

I too would suggest trying a different color ribbon. Perhaps the palest ever yellow or antique white might allow your Christening gown to show up as a whiter shade(?)...Or, could you substitute a chain or narrow "ribbon" created with that same bernat thread for the ribbon? I know it wouldn't look as elegant, but perhaps just as nice?

yes Shannie that is always going to be like that, no need to worry about it as using a contrasting color of the ribbon will make the dress look white, but then if I was you (of course I am not) and wanted it all white I wouldn't care about different shades of white, the ribbon is going to look different anyway as it different fabric, smooth and shiny... so I would put them both together,

definitely wouldn't advised you to bleach it as it may make white but still not same white and it could ruin the dress completely, 8 weeks is not 8 hours so think...

Thanks for your comments. I don't have a dye lot issue because the whole dress bonnet and booties were made from the same very large ball of thread. When I was finished I bleached it overnight then washed it. This dress is as white as it will get. It looked completly awful with the white ribbon. I will think about using another color of ribbon like pink or yellow. I will also look for maybe a winter white or eggshell white to see how that works. I took this berbat thread in with me comparing it to other brands of thread. Every ball of bernat looked darker than the other brands. Its too bad too, I am not using that brand of thread again.

Bernat really isn't bad, so please don't rule it out completely....just make sure of the color before you buy. I've used Bernat for several things and I've enjoyed it.

I was going to suggest bleaching it, but RoseRed suggested that and you already tried it.

Yes, I'd go with another color ribbon, and I'm sure it will look white as long as you don't hold it right next to something that is more white. ;)

Bernat really isn't bad, so please don't rule it out completely....just make sure of the color before you buy. I've used Bernat for several things and I've enjoyed it.

;)

I use bernat yarn all the time. Its a good yarn and I agree. I just wasn't happy with the white thread and most of the projects I do are with white thread. Thanks for the comments. I am heading into town where there is a Joanns and a Hobby Lobby and I will see what I can do to salvage this dress.

Archived