Filet Crochet

anyone got any tips or good links as i want to try to learn this.

note i plan on using my 4ply yarn as i have a lot of that atm, just need to figure out which hook to use. i figure 4ply will be better for learning on instead of finer threads :)

thanks

This site is excellent.

http://www.smartcrochet.com/tutorial.shtml

I know some people disagree with me, but I have no patience with sites that tell you 'some blocks share a stitch'. That is simply not true.

For example, the about.com site says 'in 3 dc filet, 2 blocks side by side is 7 dc, and there is a shared stitch'. Then later, ''in 4 dc filet, 3 blocks side by side is 10 dc, and there is a shared stitch' (paraphrasing).

Nonsense. Both of these have 3 stitches in each mesh. Period. No sharing. Seven and 10 are both a multiple of 3 plus 1. The 1 belongs to the open mesh immediately to the right. (open meshes = 2 chains, dc)

I can't imagine how a beginner wouldn't run away screaming with the concept of sharing a stitch.

The only exception, each ROW has an extra stitch (dc). One. No sharing. It's there, at the beginning of the row, because you can't start a row with an open mesh (chain,chain,dc) without something to hang the chains on.

If you are working in US trebles, a mesh really is 4 stitches, either 4 dc or 3 chains+dc. Most patterns are in dc however.

And our very own Katchkan, Kathy White, teaches an online filet course here on the 'ville. The last one was in January of this year, but I'm sure it'll be offered again. It's a very popular class. Check out the class schedule. Reasonably priced, and with great teachers and one-on-one help.

Filet is actually really easy. Large pieces get tedious, and frankly my eyesight is bad so I have to do it under a really bright light. But the end result is lovely!

Patty

Archived