Are you a Granny Purist?

Are you a Granny Purist?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Granny Purist?

• I'm a Granny Purist. Only the traditional granny squares are grannies to me.
    • All squares are granny squares to me, no matter the design.
    • I have no opinion, makes no difference to me what a square is called.

• 1 month later...

:cheerTo me they are not Granny Squares, they are Peggy Squares but regardless of their name, I also believe that the "traditional" Granny/Peggy Square are the only "real" ones.

All others are just "Squares"

:thinkMaybe when Granny/Peggy Squares were named, they had a different name and our ancestors bemoaned the fact that the magazines were now calling their favourite squares by a new name.:think

I did not like it when I found out that in the US the stitch names were different then I decided it was just about learning a different language and felt quite good that I managed to work it out.

My mum had an expression, "Call me anything you like, as long as you dont call me late for breakfast."

Or "A Rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."

Have fun.

Colleen.

PS, Sorry, I cannot click on your Poll because there is not an appropriate answer for me.

I'm half purist/half non-purist. When I'm talking with other crocheters, I just call them squares because they would know the difference. When I'm speaking with someone that doesn't know the lingo, I call them fancy granny squares and they usually have a slight clue what I mean because their aunt or grandmother made them all the time. I don't get stressed out about the name though.

Hugs and cookies.

I only call the simple traditional squares Grannies, but it doesn't bother me if people refer to the more elaborate squares as grannies too. I have all sorts of little peculiarities that drive me crazy but this isn't one of them. ;) Now, when people call crochet knitting, that drives me straight up the wall for some reason! But it seems in some circles knitting loosely refers to both. I guess we all have things that get to us, even when they really should not matter that much. I attribute it to having a great life if little things are our only complaints. :)

Archived