Around the world laundering your crochet

Reading posts from all over the world here, I got to wondering about laundering methods in different areas. In the US, machine washing and drying is the standard, and if we need to hand wash something and dry it flat, it seems like a huge chore;) This can really influence our yarn choices. For instance, I would probably never consider making an afghan out of any yarn that has to be dried flat, because I have no place to do that. Being plus-size, finding space to lay out a sweater to dry flat can be a challenge too:lol but I'm more willing to sacrifice for a garment.

In the UK, Australia, and other countries, what are your expectations about laundering your crocheted creations?

It isn't where you live, but the yarn you choose for your project. I have loved the look of a lot of yarns, but if I wanted to make a large project, and can't machine wash it (afghan, etc.) I will choose something that can be machine washed and dried. I refuse to make a large object, if it can't be machine washed! (and dried) Just my opinion.....

It isn't where you live, but the yarn you choose for your project.

I was thinking of it sort of the other way around. Like, if I lived someplace where most people do not have dryers, and i didn't have one, then I would have worked out other ways dry things, and therefore it wouldn't seem like a big deal to use a yarn that can't go in the dryer. (I do have a clothesline, but I wouldn't hang a wool or bamboo item to dry due to stretching.)

I don't mind hand washing hats, scarves, slippers, and that sort of stuff, but NO WAY would I think of hand washing an afghan or blanket! And would something that large dry between now and the end of forever? Well, it would I suppose if you could get it from the bathtub to the washing machine just to spin it out.

Ha, ha, I can see me now ~ trying to lift and run with a soaking wet crocheted blanket, from my bathtub to my washer in the kitchen, staggering under the weight of it, while gallons of water are pouring on the floor, and 3 cats are milling around trying to trip me and complaining loudly because they're getting wet! I can just see it!

I hand wash, squeeze out the water I can, roll in a towel, and again when that one gets quite damp. Then I lay the project on a towel on a drying rack and shape it as it dries. I don't make afghans or blankets anymore, but used to wash those by hand, too.

Handwashing makes things last a lot longer.

I haven't got a dryer, because my flat is too small, but if I had I would certainly use it.

In Sweden all apartment buildings have a washing room for the tenants to use, so practically everyone has access to dryers.

I don't hand wash anything crocheted, my machine has a Hand Wash program.

my machine has a hand wash cycle too. and i think i would dry any afgans flat as the tumble dryer can drastcally shorten the life of anything it gets its hands on. if i took the time to make something large i want it to last a long time.

I machine wash every thing I crochet on the gentle cycle,and let air dry,I find the dryer makes them flimsy,even my table cloths,I lay them over the back of a chair,they don't stretch and they dry just fine,afgans also

Archived