Hard time w/ hats....

1st off, I'm not a tight crocheter.

I'm having a heck of a time w/ hats. They all come out too small, no matter what pattern I use. My last effort was w/ LB Family of Beanies. I do the largest size, & it comes out way too small. I've got a bunch of LB Thick & Quick; thot it would be great for hats, but I'm 'bout ready to give up. I have frogged at least 6 hats in 3 diff patterns.

Anybody else have this prob?

Maybe you could try crocheting the beginning circle to measure 7 or so inches, and then start to crochet even? I know that's not really a pattern, but if you can get the basic size around right, then just crochet even until it is the right length.

samijofitz....that IS a pattern! LOL Really, that's all a hat is, right? Increasing in a circle until it's wide enough, then straight crocheting....? That's what I thought anyways, though I don't really make too many hats.

Anways, for Christmas, I made my sisters hats by chaining however many to fit around my head, then just keep crocheting in whatever st or pattern (keeping it rectangle)to however tall I waned it, then seaming up the short side, running a length of yarn along the top and gathering (tying tightly) and adding a pompom! They loved them, and I was happy because they were super easy to make.

When crocheting hats for charity; can't measure someone's head, so just curious - do any of you have an "estimate" of how big to make the circle (when increasing) for various sizes - men so many inches for the circle, women so many inches for the circle, etc.

I know there are charts for measurements across the finished hat, and measurements for length on the finished hat. But to know an approximate circle size needed would be so helpful at the start. Or so it seems to me. :)

When crocheting hats for charity; can't measure someone's head, so just curious - do any of you have an "estimate" of how big to make the circle (when increasing) for various sizes - men so many inches for the circle, women so many inches for the circle, etc.

I know there are charts for measurements across the finished hat, and measurements for length on the finished hat. But to know an approximate circle size needed would be so helpful at the start. Or so it seems to me. :)

circumference equals pi times diameter

If you know what circumference you want (say 23" ?), then divide it by 3.14 which is pi and you will find the diameter of the circle that you want. (7.32")

circumference equals pi times diameter

If you know what circumference you want (say 23" ?), then divide it by 3.14 which is pi and you will find the diameter of the circle that you want. (7.32")

Thanks. This will help; handy info.

I definitely have a problem with hats. I did a pattern for a hat from the Stitch n Bitch book. I even used the same yarn it suggested. My hat came out small and hole-y. I was kinda disappointed. And it sucks cause there are so many cute hat patterns!

Archived