Need pattern suggestions

A friend of mine asked me to make a blanket and outfit for his sister's first baby. The new arrival is due on March 17, and if he/she arrives on time, it will be a St. Patrick Irish baby. yeah! (Even though the family is of German ancestry hee hee) Anyway, they don't know if it is a boy or girl. I looked through my patterns and nothing is inspiring me for a gender neutral blanket. Don't want to do white because of stains. Any suggestions for colors or patterns?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I LOVE the 'Kitties in a Row' afghan, because even though it looks daunting at first, it's super easy and a no-brainer - lots of dcs. The nice thing about it is that you can do each set of 'kitties' in a different colour - pastels (lemon yellow, sky blue, pale green, lavender, powder pink) or vibrant primary and secondary colours. I love it, works up so quickly and it always looks interesting...

I've been making my baby blankets in the brighter colors. I've done a red one, navy blue with white (two strands together), blue (like a royal blue). The last one I did was a round ripple with pink, black and white. I've not done a pastel one in a long time. Since he/she is due on St. Patricks--could make a green one.

I like that kitties in a row idea, or a regular ripple blanket pattern. You can always go with red, white and black. Those are supposed to be very stimulating for babies. Or do different shades of green if you want to run with the St. Patrick's Day theme.

You can always go with pastel colors... but I'm a fan of bright crazy colors. Of course, you want to cater to the desires of the recipient. I think you can get away with a little of "girly" colors and a little of "boy" colors. Especially with variegated yarn. You could also make up your own patterns too! My mom likes to make big granny square afghans for her grandkids. That's the beauty of afghans and being a creative person.

Are you on ravelry? You could probably find some cute patterns there.

• 1 month later...

There's an Irish cabled baby blanket in the Spring 2009 (last year) issue of Interweave Crochet. I'm thinking of tackling it. The pattern is called Solas Caomh (Tender Comfort) and you can see picks on Ravelry.

I love the Jasie blanket at happyyellowhouse.com and made one in mint green Caron Simply Soft once that was a big hit. I also love the Bubbles Baby Blanket with a border~works up quickly and can really look stunning~there are a few threads with pics here! http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Archived