Rust proof pins

I have a package of pins with the little colored heads that you would use for hemming pants. Are those generally rust proof? I need to block a fillet project I just finished and I am too lazy to run to the store for pins.

Thanks!

I was at Joanns today to buy pins for blocking. There were so many pins that just said " nickel-plated steel" and hubby said "have you ever seen a rusty nickel?".

For what it's worth I bought the pack of pins that said stainless steel. I have never seen a rusty nickel but I'm not taking any chances with a thread project that I have invested hours of work in. :hook

Nicole, I did a bit of a search, though not extensive, on google. Dritz pins for silk are marked rustproof. Some quilting pins are marked rustproof.

I don't know if the pins you have will rust, or not.

Can you call the manufacturer tomorrow?

I was going to post the same thing. I bought some nickle plated steel ones and wondered the same thing about rusting. I may have to call tomorrow and see.

ETA: I just sent an e-mail to the company. I will let you all know what is said!

I use the nickel plated pins all the time and have never had a problem with rust. AND I block lots and lots. One of the nicest Christmas gifts my husband ever got me was a magnetic pin pad and boxes of the nickel plated pins. I thank him everytime I use it and them.

I sent the e-mail last night and got a response this morning. Here is a copy of the e-mail:

The type of pin you need to use are either stainless steel or brass. the pins you have are nickel plated and this is only rust resistant. Stainless Steel and brass are more resistant than any other metal.

We have several pins in these metals. The packages should state this. You can also check for more information on our website at http://www.dritz.com

One way to tell if any of the pins you have are stainless steel is that they will not stick to a magnet.

I hope this information is helpful.

Amy Summers

Consumer Relations

Prym Consumer USA Inc.

Post Office Box 5028

Spartanburg, SC 29304

Angelsmith, thanks for posting their response. I wonder what the composition of the stainless steel is that it won't stick to a magnet? Maybe more nickel?

Older stainless steel will stick to a magnet.

Archived