question regarding circular crochet

oreo

Question

I have been crocheting for 10+ yrs. and have never done any projects using a circular hook. Can anyone briefly explain the uses of such a hook, and whether you could use a "regular" hook in a pattern that calls for a circular one? I want to make a child's hat that has a flower covering the top - trendy item seen in a boutique. Thank you in advance!

15 answers to this question

Yep, it does exist...though I have no idea what to do with it! :think Oneday while I was at Walmart I came across one and bought it thinking it was interesting, but haven't been able to find any patterns for it, or any mention about it anywhere else. If anyone knows where to get patterns to use with it, or more info on its purpose, please let me know. Here is a picture of mine. It's metal, size 5.5mm made by Boye.

doubleendedcrochethooksz5.jpg

Ah, that makes sense...thanks Crochet Smartcat! You posted while I was writting my post. :lol I have a book for crochet on the double and totally forgot about it...never actually tried it, guess I will have to dig it out sometime. :hook

:think :think :think I think you will find it is for Tunisian Crochet, also called Tricot.

I have never seen them but have read about them either on a link via HGTV or DIY.:hook :hook :hook

If I find the info, I will let you know.

I think they would be a bit of a pain to use for normal crochet, having the end dangling.

Have fun,

Colleen

I haven't used mine yet, but I was thrilled to f ind one. When you're doing a large piece using the afghan stitch, the hook gets awfully full keeping all those stitches on there. The circular hook gives you a lot more room for more stitches, therefore a bigger project. That's my understanding anyway. I'm anxious to try it.

Susan Rae

They're like the Crochenit cable hook that Annie's Attic sells. I love making lapghans with them because there's no joining, and the patterns are so cool!

There's a booklet I really like called Cuddle Up Lapghans, Annie's doesn't have it anymore but you can get it on Ebay sometimes. The Raspberry Fluff is my favorite pattern.

I'll find a picture of it and post it (though I didn't use the colors on the pattern)

I've tried the metal ones like the one pictured in this thread, and I didn't like them for a couple reasons. 1. the stitches always want to come off one end when you're working on the other (crochenit hooks have little caps to prevent that) 2 I found that the yarn snagged on the metal at the swivel points in the hooks, and 3. they were so small that it took forever to feel like you were making any progress on your item.

I really love the crochenit ones though, I only use the cable ones. The small straight ones don't do much for me LOL

edit: here's the picture...if you make this blanket in two colors, it's really cool because it's reversable...

Picture_440.jpg

hugs

Ro

I want to make a child's hat that has a flower covering the top - trendy item seen in a boutique. Thank you in advance!

The circular hook question has been answered, but you don't need to use a circular hook to make a hat. Is it an online pattern? I'm curious to know why they would require a circular hook.

Depending on the pattern, you may use the circular hook to do a tunisian type stitch in the round with two colors of yarn. Without looking at the pattern, I wouldn't know. The second hook is for working the second color in crochet on the double. If you want to use it for straight afghan/tunisian crochet, buy the knitting needle caps and put it on the spare end. That is how I use mine. I use them interchangeably for standard tunisian and for crochet on the double.

That was the other name I was trying to think of, Tunisian, Tricot, Afghan. They are all the same thing or at least very similar.

That is what the long thingy is for.:clap :clap :clap

You dont need a long thingy to crochet in the round but you do need it for the Tunisian, Tricot, Afghan stitch, especially when you are doing longggggg rows.:hug :hug :hug

Have fun.

Colleen.

Archived