The mathematics of coral reefs - in crochet

(Sorry if it's been posted before.)

Using crochet to model hyperbolic geometry and thus disprove Euclid's 5th postulate. No, seriously!

Margaret Wertheim and her sister are crocheting a giant coral reef based on mathematical patterns.

This link is a video of a talk she gave

And here are some pictures

Edited: to credit Daina Taimina, the mathematician/crafswoman who invented hyperbolic crochet.

Using crochet to model hyperbolic geometry and thus disprove Euclid's 5th postulate. No, seriously!

Hyperbolic space....Fascinating.....Beautiful....Oh so Crochetable!

Ah, the lines that can be duplicated via "domestic feminine art" - from here to inifinity! :h5

Thank you for the share, Rachel, it's new to me. And it is always a good day when I learn something new...and beautiful too.

Oh, should anyone want to create their own piece of hyperbolic spacel check here.

Crochet for math....yeah my school would love that..."no, i'm not playing around, i' learning about hyperbolic space!"

Sounds like a chance to stitch up some 'extra credit', Nikka! :lol

Oh my word. Thanks for posting this. I know you said it has been posted before but I missed it. So thanks again for posting it. It is just fascinating. It's not your grandmother's crochet. I am just awe struck with the thought of taking a simple hook and some yarn then to see what "art" comes from that.

that is amazing!!

I have an empty 110 gallon tank sitting in my family room, how cool would this be to make some and add fish and other sea creatures hehehe

last night when I was searching for some patterns I came across this,

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/c-coralReef.html?r=1

http://sydneyreef.blogspot.com/2009/04/blog-post.html

Archived