Your crochet hints and tips

I have organized a lot of my pamphlets using pressure sensitive attaching strips so that they can be kept in a 3 ring binder. I can use dividers to separate by pattern type. I also do this to my crochet magazines.

• 1 month later...

I put a thin, small, blanket on my recliner/couch to prevent hooks and other items from getting lost in the cushion cracks and falling through. No more turning everything upside down when I crochet.

I put a thin, small, blanket on my recliner/couch to prevent hooks and other items from getting lost in the cushion cracks and falling through. No more turning everything upside down when I crochet.

Excellent idea!

I also finally made myself a bag for the my crochet hooks that I'm not using and keep it in a central location. No more scrounging around in my plastic yarn bins trying to find a hook... :lol

Did you use a pattern for your hook bag? could u share a link? I am still searching for one I like so I dont have to use a ziploc bag. TIA

Did you use a pattern for your hook bag? could u share a link? I am still searching for one I like so I dont have to use a ziploc bag. TIA

I used Double Crocheting (with a double-ended crochet hook) and two colors of yarn. I made it wide enough for the hooks, I think around 7-8". I just kept going until it was big enough to fold the long strip into a "messenger bag" type configuration, and sewed up the sides, leaving a flap. I got some snaps and sewed those on.

The only thing I'd recommend is to then line the bag. I didn't and now I have issues with the hooks poking out the sides. As the bag just stays in my bins at home, it doesn't matter, but if you're going to take the bag anywhere, you probably won't want hooks falling out!

post-2792-135897511944_thumb.jpg

I use baby powder in the summer when my hands start sweating. It makes my crochet go a lot faster.

Also, I have used the wipe container to keep my yarn clean when I crochet at the beach. I just have it inside my bag, and pull a strand from the container. It keeps my yarn free of sand and I can crochet all I want while watching the kiddies play in the water.

:manyheart

I keep all of my hooks and my tapestry needles in a soft-sided pencil bag that I bought on clearance for $2 at Target.

I try to keep different bags for WIPs, that way it's easy to transport (especially if I'm using multiple skeins of yarn or large skeins, like Caron Pounders). The reusable bags from grocery/retail stores are the perfect size, and they're really cheap--usually a dollar or two at most.

The pointy ends on Boye hooks drive me CRAZY, so I usually take a piece of medical paper tape and put it over the point so it doesn't scrape on the palm of my hand. If the tape starts to get gross, it's really easy to peel off and put a new piece on.

Archived