yarn for potholder?

can you use acrylic yarn for a pot holder/hot pad? if you put a hot pot on it, does it melt?

or should i just stick with cotton?

Please use cotton. If the acrylic does not melt it could catch fire. I learned this the hard way many years ago. I made a potholder out of acrylic and went to take a pan of brownies out of the oven. The potholder melted to my hand and started on fire. I was very lucky I was not seriously hurt but I threw out all of the acrylic ones I made after that. Believe me it is not worth the risk.

I seriously doubt that acrylic is going to catch on fire from putting a soup pot or skillet on it BUT I promise you that it will melt, flatten and occasionally melt to the metal and to the table. (Can you tell I used to use acrylic for trivit pads?)

If you want to take a pot right off the stove you'll need either 2 layers of single strand work OR 2 strands worked together. This way it will be thick enough for the heat and to protect the table under it.

i'll just stick with the cotton. i've been making them out of cotton all along. i was just wondering about the acrylic.

thanks everyone.

I was going to suggest wool and possibly felt it as well. Wool doesn't "burn" really, mostly just singes (and stinks). Wool is the best insulator, but cotton is what I usually use, but definitely 2 layers!

I absolutely use cotton for hot-pads. I make dozens of them and they hold shape so much better with cotton. My choice is Peaches and cream,

Sugar n'cream or I Love This Cotton (from Hobby Lobby).

Anything "natural won't melt, cotton, wool, bamboo, corn, milk, silk, etc... Okay, don't use silk as it's a terrible insulator. What's Rayon, isn't that a natural fiber? I misremember.

I use only cotton or wool. I melted an acrylic hotpad at a really bad moment years ago and got scared straight.

Archived