Felted items are really long-lasting!

Krakovianka

I can't for the life of me find my original thread where I posted about this project, but in July of 2007 I made my first felted purse. These were the pictures I shared then.

I've used this bag extensively. It's big, so I've often put a lot in it and made it quite heavy. I've carried it around in the rain, dumped in on the floor in the car, let it get all dusty in the summer when I don't want a wool bag, and guess what? It still looks *exactly the same* as it did when I made it. (I cleaned off the dust. :blush )

Honestly, it's just as new-looking and just as strong as when I first made it. I'm just sharing this to let you know that if you're hesitant about spending the money for wool to felt, it really may be worth the investment. This bag is good for a few more years. The felted handles are incredibly strong, and don't stretch at all.

post-13065-135897442451_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897442453_thumb.jpg

I agree, Karen! I've made two felted bags for my mom and they get used almost constantly and are still looking good 4 years later. At most they will need to be shaved a little if they start looking fuzzy, but the felting really does wear like iron.

Mary Pat,

The handles are felted crocheted i-cord. I crochet about 8 feet of the cord before felting--just one long piece. It's a narrow tube, and after felting, it was a solid round cord, which I was able to cut and use as you see.

I just had to share how well this bag has held up. I like leather purses, too, but they are expensive and do NOT last like this without looking worn and tired.

That is a great handbag. I want to try felting someday, but I hesitate because I'm not sure how big to make the bag, so that it won't be too small after felting. I guess what I need to know is some kind of a formula so that I will know size of item after felting, if that makes sense.

Or, a good pattern to follow for my first felted item.

My second question would be, did you line your bag and if so, was it hard to sew the lining to the felted bag? I thought I saw the end of a zipper peeking out, and would assume you had sewn the zipper to the liner.

Your little model is adorable. What a cute smile she has.

If you're looking for a formula make a swatch and measure it, felt it and measure that will tell you how much the yarn shrinks and make it that much bigger. I usually just make it 33-50% bigger than what I want it. basically when doing the base chain I fold it into thirds and see if that is the size I want. I have only had 1 turn out a little bigger than what I had planned most are pretty much right around what I imagined. However all yarn felts differently some more than others.

check out crochet pattern cental they have some patterns for felting I have used.

The post has gone missing, and I don't remember the details about how much yarn I used. I do remember that I used a K hook and hdc stitches. I used my little one as a model to show the size difference, because of "before felting" picture (below).

I have a front-loader, so when I felt in the washing machine, I have to toss the item in and take what comes out (no checking during the process). I usually expect things to felt about 50% smaller, and that rule of thumb has held pretty true for me. My items are usually *very* felted, too--no stitch definition left.

post-13065-135897442727_thumb.jpg

There is no zipper in this bag, nor is it lined. Felted items don't really need a lining. (I put a snap on there to hold it closed.) If I were going to line it--and I have thought about it for the sake of having some pockets, because that bag can be a black hole--I would hand sew it in.

There is no zipper in this bag, nor is it lined. Felted items don't really need a lining. (I put a snap on there to hold it closed.) If I were going to line it--and I have thought about it for the sake of having some pockets, because that bag can be a black hole--I would hand sew it in.

Thanks for the tips on how much reduction to expect. When I looked at the picture again, I realized that what I thought was then end of a zipper, is probably the end of the handles... :blush

Archived