Joining granny squares

I tried searching for the answer to this question on the site before posting so I'm sorry if it is a repeat...I am making a blanket with granny squares and I was wondering if anyone had any good ways of combining them. I want the blanket to be reversible so you cant tell which side is the wrong side. Thanks in advance, I'm new to this site so if I posted this in the wrong place or did it wrong I apologize. :o)

Hi Niki,

This is a question that's been asked before but it's the kind of question that's always good to ask again and again, because sometimes someone comes up with a new idea or method and this is the perfect place to share! :D

I just whipstitch my grannies together (goodness, if a non-crocheter read that out of context, I'd be arrested!) I don't turn my squares, so my grannies have a clear front and back. (Some people do a round, turn the square so they go back in the direction they came so there's no real front or back.) I always do the last round in the same colour so it's easy to sew them all together: no one sees the stitches.

If you want them reversible you do have to turn for each row or colour section.

As for joining... my new favourite all-time best ever join for a granny is

as Beth in Tx shows in 4 vids on You tube. You can find the next 3 from this one.

I love the flat braid join which you can find on Priscilla Hewitt's site http://www.priscillascrochet.net/ I use this method for the corners http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/hmb_corner_details.html You can easily vary the number of chains in the loops to change the look of it a bit.

I have been crocheting my squares together lately, using a single crochet if I want a visible ridge for interest or a slip stitch if I don't. My squares have a definite right and wrong side, but I don't see why you couldn't crochet them together even if they didn't.

Archived