Spring fair

My daughter and I did a spring fair. I displayed my art work and she had her crafts that she paints. I also put out a few crocheted items as well. Two funny things happened. First , we had a table, tent, and our two chairs. Behind our table where we sat, we had our snacks, our jackets on the back of the chairs, our purses between us. My daughter left for a few minutes to browse nearby. This woman came over and she touched my daughters chair, looked at our case of soda and then asked me how much my purse was! I told her it was mine and the items that were for sale were on the table. I mean we had a nice display and everything facing the same way as everyone else! It was so funny:lol. She looked so embarrassed and was apologizing....The other thing was I made a scarf from two skeins of Lion Brand Suede in watercolor, at 5.99 a skein. This lady came by and absolutely loved it, tried it on, etc. She looked at the $20 price tag and asked me if she could have it for ten. I told her I couldnt bec. it cost me twelve dollars to make it. She said, "Oh I didnt know yarn cost that much."...I mean honestly, it would have cost me $2.00 to sell it to her.:lol

Enjoyed reading about your experiences. LOL at the purse episode.

If you're not into crafts you don't know what it takes to create something beautiful. It is not only the price of the yarn, but your time is worth something too!!! Everyone wants a bargain at a fair.

I love having garage sales and having an area clearly closed off (and telling people nothing is for sale ther), but they still have to look.:think

I would never haggle the price at a craft/art fair. Most of the time I wonder how they can sell things so cheap, but then again I know the hard work and cost that goes into it. A friend of my mothers told me one time I should quit my job and sell my cross stitch. Hmmm...a 5x7 piece that cost me $10 for the kit and close to 50 HOURS to make, think I could get $5 for it??? :hook

:turtle:vheart

I get the same response! :think Do people who don't craft think that supplies are cheap??? I make candles, soap and primitive crafts along w/crochet items. I have found that the best place to sell them is at craft fairs, but you really have to look out for "bargain hunters". I think some people think they are just yard sales and can try to lower the price. I tell them that everything they see are all handmade items and most of them are not identical, I don't have a sweat shop in my garage and my items are not mass produced. If they don't like the price, then go to WalMart! ;) Wonder why they look at me like I'm crazy???? (I really don't tell then the go to WM part, but I want too!!) LOL!

LOL, that's funny about your purse. Good reason to wear & carry our crocheted items with us if they want a commissioned item (or you're willing to sell your personal bag) :lol

I think the funniest thing that ever happened to us at a sale was at the flea mkt & concerned a pr of dh's golf shoes. A very heavy guy sat in dh's fold up lawn chair to try some golf shoes on. The chair collapsed, he fell to the ground & the chair was history. He bought the shoes but didn't offer to pay for the chair. :no I told dh that day just wasn't his day. The guy was fine by the way---no injuries---he was just way too large for the chair & I'm sure dh was embarrassed to tell him he couldn't use it. Unfortunately it cost more to replace the chair than the $5 he got for the shoes!

That is too funny!! :lol I have another fair that is supposed to be coming up that is a fundraiser for charity crocheting for a group I belong to.We meet at a library and every month we crochet for a different charity. this summer we are going to be working on prayer shawls for Friends of Karen (organization for terminally ill children). if anyone has an idea of what would be a seller for a fundraiser please let me know. I was thinking of making a pretty afghan and maybe they could raffle it. (or I could always use my purse!):lol

gosh, that purse story is funny!! And the scarf, no way!! People are so dumb, I swear that is why I NEVER sell my work, nope.

HUGS

JoAnn

Archived