Wing a hat with me!

aphelia

I'm wondering if there are more people like me out there? I see all this beautiful patterns out there, and sometimes I wish I could make one too.

That's why I'm starting this CAL, and I'm hoping someone will join me. I think hats are really easy, so I thought we could just wing a hat. If you want to write the pattern down, that would be nice. If not, that would be fine too. The point is to make something new, use stashyarn (if you want to), be creative and have fun!

This will be no fun alone, so I hope someone wants to join me. :blush

Let's wing a hat together! :cheer

I'm always making up a hat as I go along so I guess I should join and make it official.

However, I am terrible at getting patterns written out these days.

This sounds like fun! And it sounds like a good use for some of my stash!!! Do you have any ideas about your hat yet?

I think I'm going to make a child-hat, they can pull off almost everything, because they're cute, right? ;) I'm going to finish another project before I'll just sit down and start crocheting.

Have you given your hat any thoughts yet?

And :clap for using stashyarn!

I'm always making up a hat as I go along so I guess I should join and make it official.

However, I am terrible at getting patterns written out these days.

I'm glad you're joining! :D It doesn't matter if you write the pattern down or not. :)

This is going to be a lot of fun -- I make a lot of hats. It will be fun to design one on my own. Thanks for coming up with this great idea, Aphelia. :clapI want to make a pretty sun hat for a childish adult (meaning me.)

I finally finished a bias knit scarf I have had on my needles for ages :grandma but the though of knitting a hat to go with it .. uh uh ain't going to happen today.

Well I like making earflap hats and I have always wanted to do one with the braids instead of ties. done like dinner and I love the look. But then I had to put a pom pom on top.

Did I go overboard :? I love pom poms but I hear that kids today hate them ... let alone giant pom poms :wlol

post-4896-135897401286_thumb.jpg

This is going to be a lot of fun -- I make a lot of hats. It will be fun to design one on my own. Thanks for coming up with this great idea, Aphelia. :clapI want to make a pretty sun hat for a childish adult (meaning me.)

I actually came up with this idea in my sleep! Hehehe.. I dreamt I made this CAL... :P Does this mean I'm a real Crochetville-geek?? :P

Hihi, childish sunhat for yourself sounds great!

I finally finished a bias knit scarf I have had on my needles for ages :grandma but the though of knitting a hat to go with it .. uh uh ain't going to happen today.

Well I like making earflap hats and I have always wanted to do one with the braids instead of ties. done like dinner and I love the look. But then I had to put a pom pom on top.

Did I go overboard :? I love pom poms but I hear that kids today hate them ... let alone giant pom poms :wlol

[ATTACH]692[/ATTACH]

Ah, that PomPom-thing is cool!! I don't think you went overboard, but what do I know about what kids today like or not like... :P

[ATTACH]692[/ATTACH]

I absolutely LOVE it just like it is. My 15-year-old daughter, however, says the pompom is a bit overboard, but she really likes the rest of it. She thinks someone younger might like it. And not all kids hate pompoms. I teach 4 girls to crochet, and they all love pompoms. (Ages 10 - 16.)

I would like to join in the fun too. I already have an idea for a toddler size hat. I will start on it in the morning. I think I will use a few different colors, bright ones. Mabey have a point on the top, or use bobble sts in different colors with the base of the hat in 1 main color. Lots of ideas. :D This is going to be fun! Thanks!

Welcome, Heart! :D

I haven't started mine yet, had to finish a kerchief I have been making... But now it is blocking, so I should be able to start tonight after a long day at work (we have a staffmeeting after work). I work in a kindergarden, so I guess I could look at all the kids' hats to see if I get any inspiration. ;)

I started mine this morning. It's in a lime green color and I'm about to put some bobble sts on it. At least I think they're called bobble sts. You basically put 5dc in the same st, holding back the last loop of each, so after you make the 5dc, there are 6 loops on the hook, yarn over then pull thru all loops. Is that a bobble or puff st? I don't know. I just wanted a 3-D effect. I'll try and post a pic later on. :) This was a good idea. Thanks for starting it! :D

I absolutely LOVE it just like it is. My 15-year-old daughter, however, says the pompom is a bit overboard, but she really likes the rest of it. She thinks someone younger might like it. And not all kids hate pompoms. I teach 4 girls to crochet, and they all love pompoms. (Ages 10 - 16.)

Yeah it is really more a girl sized hat than a teen so I may get away with it. Thank you for doing that 'research' for me.:hug and please thank your daughter for her honesty. Appreciate it.

I am giving this project a lot of thought. I want to make a hat that I have never made before. I need something new and different. :think

Can I play along?

I have a cap I'm working on right now.. hoping it turns out okay... its a combination of a basic cap and brim design.... :hook

:heart

:mug

I started mine this morning. It's in a lime green color and I'm about to put some bobble sts on it. At least I think they're called bobble sts. You basically put 5dc in the same st, holding back the last loop of each, so after you make the 5dc, there are 6 loops on the hook, yarn over then pull thru all loops. Is that a bobble or puff st? I don't know. I just wanted a 3-D effect. I'll try and post a pic later on. :) This was a good idea. Thanks for starting it! :D

I don't know if that's a bubble sts.. How cool would it be if you invented a whole new sts!? :P

You're very welcome, I'm just so happy that someone wants to do this CAL with me. :D

Can I play along?

I have a cap I'm working on right now.. hoping it turns out okay... its a combination of a basic cap and brim design.... :hook

Welcome!!!! :D

Darski: I'm also giving this a lot of thinking.. :) But now I'm just going to sit down and crochet something, I can always make more than one. :P

Heart: Oh, I can't wait to see that hat finished! :D

I made a hat last night..! Here's a few pictures:

DSCF4468.jpg

DSCF4471.jpg

I think it's cute, but I'm not sure about the size, maybe it's a tad too long.. I'll crochet a new one, to see... And take it with me to work, to try it on some of the kids. ;)

I didn't use a pattern, but it may already be something like this out there..?

Aphelia!!! That's soooo cute! I haven't seen anything like that. It looks like something you'd buy in a store. Good job! :)This was such a good idea. It's fun to create something new. :) I already have an idea for another one to make. :D Here's what I have so far. I should finish it today and post a pic after a bit. I just need to finish this last row of bobbles and then a few rows of a white ruffle. :D

Heart: Oh, I can't wait to see that hat finished! :D

I made a hat last night..! Here's a few pictures:

DSCF4468.jpg

DSCF4471.jpg

I think it's cute, but I'm not sure about the size, maybe it's a tad too long.. I'll crochet a new one, to see... And take it with me to work, to try it on some of the kids. ;)

I didn't use a pattern, but it may already be something like this out there..?

Aphelia!!! That's soooo cute! I haven't seen anything like that. It looks like something you'd buy in a store. Good job! :)This was such a good idea. It's fun to create something new. :) I already have an idea for another one to make. :D Here's what I have so far. I should finish it today and post a pic after a bit. I just need to finish this last row of bobbles and then a few rows of a white ruffle. :D [ATTACH]783[/ATTACH]

Adorable hats ladies!!!! I love the colors and designs............ VERY COOL! :hook

This try is not quite there yet. I really like the look of this shape but it isn't quite the completed dream..

post-4896-135897401796_thumb.jpg

That yarn is a combo of white eyelash and pink chenille. I like this one a lot but...

I love the hats we are seeing. :cheer heart :cheeraphelia :hook

post-4896-135897401792_thumb.jpg

This try is not quite there yet. I really like the look of this shape but it isn't quite the completed dream..

[ATTACH]784[/ATTACH][ATTACH]785[/ATTACH]

That yarn is a combo of white eyelash and pink chenille. I like this one a lot but...

Oh Darski! It's beautiful! The combination of yarns and the brim too! You should call it The Dream Hat! It's the perfect name.

I :manyheart all of the hats!!! I feel that I am in league with a bunch of talented people. I hope it rubs off on me!!!

that is supposed to be my hat. I'm not sure if I posted it correctly. I wasn't going for ruffles, and it's a bit tight around my head. I can live with the tightness, but I think I need to work on my ruffles. Any recommendations?

post-16396-135897401809_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]784[/ATTACH][ATTACH]785[/ATTACH]

WOW............:eek

that is an awesome set!!! the hat is fabulous!!!!

I :manyheart all of the hats!!! I feel that I am in league with a bunch of talented people. I hope it rubs off on me!!!

that is supposed to be my hat. I'm not sure if I posted it correctly. I wasn't going for ruffles, and it's a bit tight around my head. I can live with the tightness, but I think I need to work on my ruffles. Any recommendations?

Holy Granny Squares Batman...............:eek

That is an AWESOME set........... your hat is outstanding!!!!

Beth I really like that set. It is just a stunning combo.

As to the tightness... assuming that you tested it as it got close to the edgge, I would just add in about 3 more stitches to the row. Or add one "segment' from your ruffle pattern.

I have been known to stop the Standard Circle pattern at Row 4 but then I add in one extra stitch in various loacations over the next rows to get a little more room.

It looks FAB as it is and the tightness may 'give' as you wear it. :hug

Archived