Mile a minute afghan help

Mel2nsluvsCrochet

Question

Hi....I am trying my hand at doing an M A M. I don't really want to follow a particular pattern but what is the average amount of strips should one make?? I don't want it to be too big or too small. 4 strips? 7 strips? From other patterns I read, they all vary so maybe I am looking for some sound advice. I plan to finish it off with my own border style that makes it uniquely my pattern. Any suggestions?? Thanks for your support and help.

:manyheart:hook

Melannie

8 answers to this question

:hook Just work out what size you want your Afghan to be when finished then make your first strip and work from there.

If your strip is 12 inches wide and you want the Afghan to be about 36 inches wide, then make 3 strips. It will come out a wee bit bigger by the time you get your border on but as long as the width and length are complimentary to each other, it will be fine.

:hug I make a baby blanket with 8inch Peggy Squares and use 4 X 5 and it looks quite balanced. Not long and skinny or short and fat. If you want it bigger, just work from there.

Have fun.

Colleen

:hook Just work out what size you want your Afghan to be when finished then make your first strip and work from there.

If your strip is 12 inches wide and you want the Afghan to be about 36 inches wide, then make 3 strips. It will come out a wee bit bigger by the time you get your border on but as long as the width and length are complimentary to each other, it will be fine.

:hug I make a baby blanket with 8inch Peggy Squares and use 4 X 5 and it looks quite balanced. Not long and skinny or short and fat. If you want it bigger, just work from there.

Have fun.

Colleen

Thank you for the advice, Colleen...I will do that. :hug

Melannie

Yes plz...... inquiring minds wanna know, Whats a peggy square? :blush
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, tell me what a peggy square is. i am thinking it might be like a granny square except is new zeeland slang, am i right? or if not, then what the heck is it:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol:devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :devil

:think :think :think Sorry to cause a stir, you are right,

It is a Granny Square or at least I think it is.

The square made of CH 4, Join with a slip st, CH3, work 2DC into loop(our TR),* CH2, 3DC, * repeat *to* twice more, CH2, Join to the top of turning CH with a slip stitch. (4 X 3DC groups)

If using the same colour, slip stitch to the next CH2 space, CH3, 2Dc into same space, *CH2, 3Dc into same space, CH1, 3Dc into next CH2 space,* cont to end of round ending with a slip stitch into top of turning CH.

Continue this way, keeping CH2 at the corners and CH1 between the 3DC groups and slip stitching over a group and starting the neext round with a group in the first CH1 SP.

If you want to change colours, just finish off and join the new colour at any CH1 SP and just continue making your corners as before.

I usually dont go over 8 inches as this size is nice to put together for baby afghans.

I probably call any square which is put together into a rug, a Peggy Square.

I guess it depends where your Grandmother came from.

Thanks for the interest.

Colleen.

Archived