I'm sad

I've been looking but I can't really find any LYS's around where I live. There are two Michaels, an AC Moore, a Jo-Anns and two walmarts within one exit either way of the highway I live right off of, but I would rather go to a smaller shop and support my community. This upsets me.

I'm in the same situation where I live. AC Moore, Michael's and Walmart are my only choices. I was in Boston area last weekend visiting my DD and got to got to two LYS and there was so much beautiful yarn to be seen.

I have one LYS within a reasonable driving distance (30 min). There are a few others but they are at least an hour away in either direction. There was one closer, only about 10 minutes away, but they closed a few years ago. :( There are lots of options for shopping online but there's nothing like being able to go to the store and see all that fabulous yarn in person.

Your going to love this one, I have an AC Moore and Micheals right down the street from me. Never knew of a LYS in town, however there was a embroidery store, but it always closed when I drive by. A customer comes in the other day and tells me that the embroidery store is indeed a LYS full of beautiful yarn. So one day I am going to have to sneak out of work to drive across town to visit.

Try going to this website http://www.knitmap.com/ this is a search engine for find local places to buy yarn. How cool is that!!!

I am lucky enough to have a fabulous yarn store 2 miles from my house called Crafty Lady Trio-- it is a very crochet friendly yarn store for those of you who live in the Detroit area (it's in Macomb Twp.)

There aren't any in my immediate area. I gotta drive a half hour to get to the nearest one besides a chain/department store. I wish someone could set one up around here.

so do I Mandii, i live in Maricopa AZ but fortunately i work in Tempe, and there are alot of wonderful stores near ASU. However i find that most of the yarn i buy is from the "Knitting Warehouse" online. even though they say they do not guarantee lots i have never had a problem with that. I have ordered up to 20 skeins of the same yarn and they have always been the same lot. and being out in the boonies it always helps to have it delivered.

so do I Mandii, i live in Maricopa AZ but fortunately i work in Tempe, and there are alot of wonderful stores near ASU. However i find that most of the yarn i buy is from the "Knitting Warehouse" online. even though they say they do not guarantee lots i have never had a problem with that. I have ordered up to 20 skeins of the same yarn and they have always been the same lot. and being out in the boonies it always helps to have it delivered.

I order from there too, just ordered the other day in fact. Had a project requiring Lion Brand Fishermans Wool. Saved three dollars a skein, but then ordered two set of double pointed needles. Add on shipping and it still totaled out to be less than if I had wasted the gas to drive to the store to get the three skeins and drove back.

Where in Boston is there and LYS store...I live in the Boston area and would love to go to one.

Actually in Cambridge- one in Harvard Square-Woolcott & Company - 61 John F. Kennedy St Cambridge, MA and the other one was in Porter Square- Mind's Eye Yarns 22 White Street • Cambridge, MA 02140

Your going to love this one, I have an AC Moore and Micheals right down the street from me. Never knew of a LYS in town, however there was a embroidery store, but it always closed when I drive by. A customer comes in the other day and tells me that the embroidery store is indeed a LYS full of beautiful yarn. So one day I am going to have to sneak out of work to drive across town to visit.

Where in NJ?

Try going to this website http://www.knitmap.com/ this is a search engine for find local places to buy yarn. How cool is that!!!

I am lucky enough to have a fabulous yarn store 2 miles from my house called Crafty Lady Trio-- it is a very crochet friendly yarn store for those of you who live in the Detroit area (it's in Macomb Twp.)

Thanks for the link- found 2 about 30 minutes away- maybe I'll check them out if I'm heading to that area. I wish there was one closer!

Even though it wasn't weather permitting yesterday we went to Boston. It was freezing there!!! I only made it to one yarn store ... we went to Windsor Button. They had lots of cool yarns there including the less expensive ones you'd find in Michaels and Joanns like Red Heart and Lion Brand, and of course, knitting, sewing and crochet notions. I got to pet brands of yarn I'd never heard of. :) I got a pair of Addi Turbo needles, bamboo circular needles, and a skein of Noro Kuyeron yarn. :c9 The yarn was $13 a skein. :eek Still, just had to try it. The colors are awesome. I probably could have gotten it cheaper online but after paying a shipping charge, it cancels out the savings. They had some gorgeous handmade knitting needles and crochet hooks there but I was good and didn't get them. :devil

Parking is a nightmare in that city. Fortunately, we got to park right in front of the yarn store but later we stopped at Quincy Market and had to use a parking garage. $35 for a couple of hours!!! :eek For next time we mapped out a different route. Drive to Attleboro, pick up the T (subway), and avoid the parking fees. :yes

Even though it wasn't weather permitting yesterday we went to Boston. It was freezing there!!! I only made it to one yarn store ... we went to Windsor Button. They had lots of cool yarns there including the less expensive ones you'd find in Michaels and Joanns like Red Heart and Lion Brand, and of course, knitting, sewing and crochet notions. I got to pet brands of yarn I'd never heard of. :) I got a pair of Addi Turbo needles, bamboo circular needles, and a skein of Noro Kuyeron yarn. :c9 The yarn was $13 a skein. :eek Still, just had to try it. The colors are awesome. I probably could have gotten it cheaper online but after paying a shipping charge, it cancels out the savings. They had some gorgeous handmade knitting needles and crochet hooks there but I was good and didn't get them. :devil

Parking is a nightmare in that city. Fortunately, we got to park right in front of the yarn store but later we stopped at Quincy Market and had to use a parking garage. $35 for a couple of hours!!! :eek For next time we mapped out a different route. Drive to Attleboro, pick up the T (subway), and avoid the parking fees. :yes

I love Quincy Market. Went there when I was a junior in high school during our band trip. The teachers let us shop for FOUR hours. I loved watching the street performers.

Archived