Lesson I learned on making a bear

Well I learned an important lesson last week I started to make my middle daughter a bear well last week I used red heart yarn to make the bear and this past week I used Caron Soft Sage and Red heart pale yellow well I learned the two yarns don't stitch well together I won't make that mistake again and Caron isn't very tough for making a bear it's soft so I've learned to stick with a tougher yarn to make a bear sorry for such a long sentence

Yeah I agree I do love the Caron One pounders when making scarves, and baby blankets and I have yet to make more projects

The simply soft probably would work fine if you made the whole bear with it, perhaps using a smaller hook.

Different brands of yarn are better for different things...example RHSS and Caron Pounders are awful for most wearables because they're so stiff. I agree that it's best to be careful when mixing brands of yarns, they don't always work up to the same gauge.

I even had a gauge issue making a stuffed animal for my sister once, with two balls of the same yarn!! ...I was using scrap yarn to start with, and apparently did not have enough :P. so I had to go digging, eventually found a newer ball of leftover...same brand...same "color" (no dye lot, my eye!)...and it was distinctly finer. I forget the brand. It might have been wintuck or something. It was a smaller skein...not RH, not Simply Soft...but anyway...Ihear your frustration. I hope your next stuffie works better. :hug

I think it is a personal opinion. I do not use RH Super Saver for anything. I do not like the way it feels.

I hear that! I used it when I very first started to crochet, but quickly learned it is very tough. Now I don't use it for anything. For my ami's, I try to use Caron Wintuk or Vanna's. I've tried Berella as well but it is also too tough for me.

I will not mix Caron yarn and Red Heart. While the Caron is much softer right out of the ball, I find it splits too much when being worked and due to the soft hand, I find it more difficult to stitch with. Red heart is rough right out of the ball, but it has more substance, stands up well to being handled , does not split when being stitched, and once washed and tumbled dry, becomes very soft. I find it much better for stuffed toys too, due to the firm hand.

Archived