good yarn for a bag..?

I found a pattern online that I would really like to use to make a gift for a teacher friend that I have.

http://www.angelscrochet.com/patterns/appletotepat.php

^link to pattern^

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what kind of yarn I should use for this. I'd like it to be pretty sturdy. I've made bags with RHSS before, and of course, using a bigger stitch tends to cause the yarn to stretch. Basically I wanna minimize stretching.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I found a pattern online that I would really like to use to make a gift for a teacher friend that I have.

http://www.angelscrochet.com/patterns/appletotepat.php

^link to pattern^

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what kind of yarn I should use for this. I'd like it to be pretty sturdy. I've made bags with RHSS before, and of course, using a bigger stitch tends to cause the yarn to stretch. Basically I wanna minimize stretching.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I like that bag. I'm doing a tote bag with Caron's One Pound of yarn. It feels like it's going to be very sturdy without being stretchy. Hope this helps you out a bit. :hook

I think RH would be fine. It is done in all SC not a very large stitch, especially with an H hook.

Carrying along a size 10 thread didn't work for me, but may for others... My cotton purse strap stretched, so the bag would have too if I didn't line it...

The only way they haven't stretched is by lining them. But it can if the lining is bigger then the bag.

Thanks for the link, there is other patterns there too!

Debbi

I like doing purses in size 18 crochet nylon. Hobby lobby has a variety of colors however it isn't always easy to change colors with it, but the bags I make with it are sturdy and don't stretch. I always line my bags too. I don't want any small item to fall through the bottom. Let us know what you decide and of course show a picture!

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to try that.

I could also try lining it. I've never done it before... so I'd have to look up how... but that's defiantly a good idea... then the lining would hold it in rather than allow it to stretch.

Archived