Sport Weight Yarn

Ok the pattern I have calls for sport weight yarn I need the sport weight yarn to make my skirt so my question is What is the best sport weight yarn that is not too expensive

If you mean in acrylic, I love Patons Astra. It's wonderfully soft and the colors are beautiful. The catch is it's in small skeins (1.75 oz or 50 grams) and you will absolutely want to buy it on a sale.

I liked it enough after trying it, that I knew I wanted to buy numerous colors, so I waited and waited for a really good sale. Since this was a planned purchase, I waited and watched for many months. Then Joann's had a good sale.

I bought a lot of skeins in many colors, so I also got the free shipping. That helped defray the cost. I have enough for 2 or 3 years, maybe more.

There isn't much sport yarn available where I live, only a few colors of Red Heart Sport at Wal-Mart, Bernat Satin Sport and R.H. Fashion Sport at Michael's. Althought the Bernat is softer and has some nice colors with a sheen to them, since I've only been using sport for amigurumi's I've bought the R.H. Fashion because it has more yardage, and the colors are nice too. On sale I've only paid $2/skein (3 oz).

I'm making an afghan out of red heart designer sport and it seems to be really nice. It's soft and light and a nice texture. They make some really cute colors too!

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought of sport yarn for an afghan, it must be light, soft and pliable :)... also cost a lot more, the skeins only have 3 oz/279 yds.!

There are tons of sport weight yarn out there. For instance, most baby yarn, 'excluding fingering weight, of course' is sport yarn. For that matter, I would think a light worsted weight is pretty much a sport yarn too. Like, Caron SS, for one. You would just need to watch your gauge.

I like Bernat Softee Baby...I've used it for a variety of things, including DD's doll clothes, and it seems to hold up better than a lot of other acrylic sport weights. (and it comes in decent yardage too!)

HTH

Archived