Need help quickly (please)

crochetfun

Question

Here is my story:

as some of you know, my MIL is in the hospital. She is unable to get around, connected to all sorts of equipment. Sits in a chair most of the day, or lies down on the bed. Summer heat or not, with the airconditioning she gets cold.

I was thinking that I need to make something (and very quickly) to keep her comfortable.

I have 6 skeins of Homespun here, have the large hooks, what I need is a good suggestion (my mind stops under pressure): should I try a quick shrug/bedjacket or a lapghan? I need to give consideration to the equipment, too.

Any help will be appreciated.

(I'd like to finish this in a day max. two.)

10 answers to this question

But maybe something like this? Using similar schematics with a big hook?

I think a shortened version will work. I am going to give it my best shot. The worst part is I don't know if there is time ...

Thanks so much to both of you.:)

If you make a lapghan for when she is laying in bed, then maybe she can wrap the same lapghan around her shoulders when she is sitting up ????:think

You could make her a prayer shawl, it's a basic hdc pattern. Here's a link for LionBrand's version. Make it about 26 to 30 inches wide by about 60 inches long. Then she could use it interchangeably as either a wrap or a lapghan, whichever she felt she needed most at any given time. If you have any HS left over, you can either fringe it or put a ruffly edge on it, like I did with my Edwardian shawl, shown here.

Good luck! :hook

Thanks ladies. You are all fantastic.

I put Homespun on hold for tonight. I'm getting my husband to look for the shawl I made my MIL recently, see how that works out and take it from there.

I did a Granny sq. like shawl for her in Berella, if I remember correctly I put some edging on it instead of fringes and I think I put ties in the front. So, we can test that idea, and if it works, problem is solved, if not, we'll have a better idea what might work.

See, I was originally thinking of a simple shrug, but IV lines, etc. would be problematic with that. The holes in the shawl (the spaces between DC groups) might be a problem, too. I might just have to make something more solid, which would inevitably take longer.

I am sure all your ideas will be put to good use, if not by me right now, then by someone else who is trying to provide for an elderly relative, friend or for charity.

I'll get back to you all as soon as I know more.

This isn't related to your blanket issue but just a suggestion if you have a Costco (or similar store, maybe even a department store) there are these socks called "Clouds" that are super-warm. They're made from terry cloth and look like incredibly-soft but lumpy bits of colorful pillow forms but they're so warm. I learned about them after spending a week in what the phlebotomist who came in daily called "the coldest room in the hospital". I guess there's one on every floor and in every hospital, the room just seems to be really, really air-conditioned and the nurses (because they're constantly moving around) don't feel it being as cold as it is. I also remember reading somewhere that your head, hands, and feet are the best insulators for the body. I assume you'd have to clear it with her doctor and/or nurse-on-call (because I know sometimes they don't allow any external insulators besides those which they approve because they have to watch temps and vitals) but it's an idea.

Best wishes,

Holiday

Archived