Can someone please help me unlock the mysteries

faithpa76

Question

of MITTEN making?? I'm so confused ... I got through the "body" of the mitten, then got stuck at the thumb ... I'm trying the one on the Lion Brand website (it's supposed to be easy) and I can't seem to figure it out. Plus, I made the two year old size, and there is NO way that thing is big enough to fit my (tiny) two year old. If I ever finish it I'll put a loop on it and hang it on our christmas tree in a couple months.

Any suggestions?? My kids need mittens, I'd rather not buy them this year if I can help it, I promised I'd make them. It would help to know how to adapt a pattern so I can make different sizes for the different kids - I know this stuff will come as I get better, and more used to increasing/decreasing and all that stuff, but in the meantime - I'm stuck.

Can anyone help?

:help

Faith

13 answers to this question

Faith, if that one from Dot doesn't work out for you, hold on a couple of days as I'm right in the middle of creating a mitten pattern for my daughter's new mittens. She's 5, but small for her age, and I hate crocheting in the round, so I'm adapting an adult pattern that I have which does the thumb completely different than anything I had seen before. I'll post a link to the pattern as soon as I finish it. Plus, if you've seen my first original pattern, you will know I post plenty of helpful pictures for stitch placement that may sound confusing in the actual pattern.

The mittens that I'm making are in LB Polar Spun, which should keep her hands nice and toasty! But, I will have the example pics in a worsted weight yarn for simplicity's sake. I should have them done by the end of the weekend!

Amy, I hope the mitten pattern only takes one skein of polarspun because I have one that needs to be made into something. :D I can't wait to see the pattern! :ducky

Tiff, I'm pretty sure it will only take up one skein. I started off with less than a full skien as the yarn kept pulling apart when I frogged it (it started out as a hat, but never got done) and I had to throw some away, and it looks like I've got plenty to finish the second mitten. The right-hand mitten is almost finished. I got the thumb worked up today at work during breaks, but I couldn't do the finger tip shaping as I needed my sweet little daughter's hand for comparison.

I am hoping to get the pattern up tomorrow, but I have some studying for an exam that is work related to do this weekend also.

Red 883 wrote -

Here's an easy one piece mitten pattern you may like to try. It's not frustrating at all (I've had a problem with adding the thumb to make it look like a finger...LOL

Taken from this site (see picture):Free One Piece Mitten Pattern w/pic

Edited by Tiffcrochets to remove copyrighted pattern.

Thanks for the great link, Red! :))

that pattern looks AWESOME! I can't wait to try it.

One question i have.... how warm are the mittens?

My SC tends to be on the loose side (i try my best to keep it even and end up with a free flowing, loose sc) and when i made my first pair of mittens, the breeze went right through them.

1. does the yarn matter?

2. do you have to make the SC tighter to keep the gaps small?

3. can you add fleece or a liner to help keep the warmth in?

I hve poor circulation and i always need extra thick gloves, even the ones i buy (normally insulate gloves) need to be super thick.

~Marj :crochet

You can try making the mittens out of the LB Polar Spun. The ones that I made for my daughter are keeping her quite warm. They got put to the test today as the high here was only in the mid-thirties. Even though it looks rather wimpy as a single strand, when worked up, all the "fluffies" of fleece bulk it up and make a decent thickness.

Archived