Question

I have that problem when I use a normal hook, I started using Jimbo's hooks and they are like made for my hand. He carves them from wood and you can only win them from an auction on his site. Now I can't crochet with any other hook without having to rest my hand every 30 minutes or so.

I have had this trouble also, the smaller hooks hurt after using them. So what I did was use Polymer clay and made a grip big enough that was comfortable, gripped it the way I hold it to conform it to the way I hold it and baked it. Now it is so much more comfortable for me to use. They also have hook grips that they sell that you could try. I have heard of some people using pencil grips. I hope you find a solution to help you.

You can make your own comfort handles using Crayola Air-Dry modeling compound. I've done it for the smaller size hooks that I didn't already have comfort handles on them. I got mine at WalMart.

It is inexpensive and only takes a small amount of the compound. Roll around the amount you select to soften it. Then place it on the hook where you want it. Shape it to fit your fingers. Then coat it with nail polish. I used clear Sally Hanson Hard As Nails...dry the polish with a hair dryer then add as many coats of polish as you want, but use the dryer between each coat. Then let the finished hook air dry for a few days. Then it should be ready.

Beverly

Unfortunately RA does cramp ones style a bit. I find crocheting for shorter periods, resting and flexing the fingers, and sometimes changing the hold of the hook all help. For me it's not just the fingers, my wrists, shoulders and neck are all affected. Of course you can always look at Crochetville to give yourself a rest! Zaraliz

I have RA also and I have found that Susan Bates hooks with the bamboo handles have helped me. I am going to try the soft touch hook for I brought one for a class that I will be taking on the Ville, also you can try resting between crocheting like crochet for 20 - 30 minutes than give your hands a rest. Hope you find a hook that work for you. :hug

Thank you all and were can you get that soft grip one I only have walmart so Iam very limited to what I can get Again thanks for the in put I will try some of these and yes I under stand RA is hard on the bodie and I need to relax and let it take its course but it hurts the whole body its real bad in hands and feet but ways told its all over so I suck it up and try to keep going

I have RA also and I have found that Susan Bates hooks with the bamboo handles have helped me. I am going to try the soft touch hook for I brought one for a class that I will be taking on the Ville, also you can try resting between crocheting like crochet for 20 - 30 minutes than give your hands a rest. Hope you find a hook that work for you. :hug

These are the hooks I was going to recommend as well

Archived