SOS ASAP

Rosesandtea

Question

Hi,

I'm making an afghan for a friend with cancer. I am hoping to get it done before the 18th when he starts radio and chemo. He has already undergone an ileostomy.

It is a ripple afghan, with chunky yarn - bright colors with white inbetween each color. It goes, Dark navy, white, bt green, white, royal blue, white, red, white, gold, white , and a medium blue. After the med blue I will be working back the other way with the colors. Each color is five rows.

My question is, I've done the 5 rows of medium blue, and wonder as it is the only row of that color, and is in the middle, should I make it a bit wider - say 7 rows? Doubling it, making 10 would be too much but I was wondering about making it slightly wider than the other rows just to give the afghan a look of having a definite center.

Please if you read this could you post your opinion? I am hoping to get going on the next band of white later this evening - or do a couple more rows of medium blue. I am just not sure what is best.

thanks

Karen

7 answers to this question

I'm making a ripple and I made the middle row wider than the rest just because I liked the way it looked. Gave it a balance- if you understand what I'm saying. Just do what you think is best. I'm sure your friend will appreciate it, however you make it.

Michelle

Thank you all! It is helpful to have confirmation. I don't feel like my sense of color is always real good.

thanks again. :)

What about doing your 5 blue, then one white, then 5 blue again, then reverse your colours. :artist

I have just done a similar afghan but used black as a contrast every 6th row. My other colours were random so I just did one or two rows of colours trying to balance light and dark. It came out great.:cheer

Because I went into only the back loop of the stitch on alternate rows, I was able to work some feather type yarn on the ridges, 4 stripes at each end, and then around the edges. I gave it to my elderly mum yesterday and she was thrilled.:hug

Have fun.

Colleen.

Aggie May, the afghan with the black sounds really nice. I thought, as I looked at mine, that black might have been nicer but oh well.

I went with 8 rows of the medium blue and now am almost finished with the next band of white.

I think, if I did white in the middle, I would have wanted to do a whole regular band of 5 and I was needing to not put in too many extra rows - both because the length is getting long enough - don't want it much longer than 6 ft, and also because I have only about 7 days now to finish it. I would like to give it to him before he starts his radio and chemo.

Thank you all for your opinions! I really appreciate it.

Archived