foundation chain undone

crochet.sandie

Question

I rec'd a question from a visitor to my web site and told her I'd ask my crochet friends for insight. She unraveled the foundation chain by accident. Here's a picture. If you have a suggestion, I'll pass it on to her. I did suggest she join the forum, but she's forum shy just yet. :-)

103454587.jpg

7 answers to this question

Wow! How did she manage to do that? The only thing I can suggest is to pick up one at a time and loop them back together. Or add a new thread and slip stitch each one with it? I've never tried doing something like that, but off the top of my head it seems like one of them should work.

Yes, she did tell me. She is a beginner and you know how confusing it is when you learn something new. :-)

This is what she told me exactly (she gave me permission to share her problem in the hope of a possible solution):

"What exactly happened was I was tired one night and thought that my hook had fallen out of my project when I picked it up, assuming that

the loop had pulled through itself being a color change over I had cut the

ball from the yarn to weave through...anyways, I was wrong and had picked open the slip stitch of my foundation row, so then of course everything started to unravel from the bottom. I have no idea how to work backwards...if that is possible. heehee So what I did to tide me over (no punn intended) was run a strand through all the loops off the unravelled foundation row with a needle to prevent anymore unravelling."

I think I'm going to have to actually work a short piece and see if I can duplicate this. It's an interesting problem, no? :-)

The afghan in question is for her daughter and her favorite. She hates to lose it, which I can certainly understand. I'm sure it can be fixed. I just need to picture it and figure it out. I'm one that needs to actually do things to figure them out. I know you ladies are tops and we all have different skills, so I figured someone would be able to offer solutions.

I hope you find a solution.

It is difficult to pull out the foundation row. Once I tried to undo it (don't remember the reason).

Maybe someone who knits could offer a solution. Or using a tunisian hook maybe it could be finished off. (I would test these ideas on a sample first)

I wonder if she could get a knitter to help her. I'm thinking she could stick all the loops (stitches) on a knitting needle and then bind them off one by one.

Beth

This poor lady is a miracle worker. It is very hard to undo crochet or knitting backwards.:think :think :think

If you look at the bottom of the crochet stitches, you will see that they look like more than one loop and they are sort of twisted. (I have experienced this problem when my mum was still crocheting and she cut off her yarn in the wrong place, and it slipped un-done, but this was only a couple of stitches, not the whole row.)

What about carefully sewing over the edge, several times, with the sewing machine, making sure to not stretch it out of shape, then sewing on a blanket binding at both ends of the blanket.

The bottom of the row that is exposed now, should not spontaneously un-ravel so, if your friend has caught the stitch bottoms with a thread, it should be OK until she finishes the rest of the blanket.:hook :hook :hook

Tell you friend that if she never made a mistake, she would never learn anything. I have been crocheting and knitting for more than 50yrs and still make mistakes.

If you want something perfect, get it made in a factory by a Robot is my theory.:hug :hug :hug

Colleen.

PS OOOOps!, did not look properly to see it is a ripple stitch but a wide binding should still work.

I haven't had this problem before but thinking on it, I would think she could do either a slip stitch on that row or a sc to reconnect everything. But first weave a piece of yarn thru all the loops to prevent further frogging. I would think that doing a single crochet would be the best option as it was the foundation row that was pulled out. Where the increases/decreases are, she would have to accommodate by increasing or decreasing at those points accordingly. Once at the end of the row, fasten off. SECURE BOTH ENDS. Once all the stitches are done, pull out the strand yarn holding stitches in place. I would think this would work. It's basically the same as taking a sweater and cutting off the neck or hemline and attaching yarn to make longer or whatever. Hope this helps some. It's what I would do to try & fix it.

Archived