Flying with Thread Hooks?

I own a nice set of Crystallites for crocheting with yarn while flying, but as of late, I've gotten into doily making, and was wondering if anyone had ever tried flying with a teeny thread hook?

I may just suck it up and fly with my yarn, as I can always be working on cotton squares for my blanket, but this would take up less space. And I always get comments from people about (1) my age and (2) the fact that I'm using a wild vareigated color for my doily.

I've heard several on here who have flown with their steel hooks, you might have to check with the airlines, though.

1: You're only a few months older than my daughter :wink

2: I like wild varigateds for doilies :D

:frog

I flew with mine before.. I had it wrapped in my work and in my bag, so I dont think they really noticed, but when I was on the plane the stewardess saw me working on my doily and said beautiful work..

I flew with one last week with no problems, but I did make sure to carry a self-addressed stamped puffy just in case TSA decided it was a threat (which they can pretty much decide on a whim).

If you call ahead, they will tell you nothing, sadly. They'll tell you to check the TSA's website (which says they're okay) but also remind you that it is up to the screeners to decide whether it is a threat or not, and they can disallow things that are on the allowed list...

I may just give it a shot. It's just a steel hook - I think the cost of the envelope and the postage might be more than the hook is worth in the first place. And I'll throw another hook in my checked luggage, perhaps.

Hello!

Last Christmas I flew to Kansas and decided since I've been living in Florida, I didn't have anything warm to wear on my head. So, I decided to bring a chunky skein of yarn, and an aluminum hook, to crochet a hooded scarf for the visit. I carried the aluminum hook in my pants pocket right through the metal detector and no one new it was there but me. I practically finished the project with that N hook before getting off the plane in teen degree weather! I think that there are so many little yarn projects out there, you could probably have the satisfaction of a finished something by sacrificing and not bringing the steel hook but the yarn hook instead. Have a fun crochet day!!! :yay

I know when I was flying from Toronto, Ontario to Calgary, Alberta, I wanted to work on a doily. The steel hook was confiscated and I was told that knitting needles and steel hooks were not allowed to be in any carry on bags but had to be checked into regular luggage that was stored below the carrier. My flight was about to take off so I didn't even bother going back to check in a little crochet hook. But the nice thing was, I wrote the airline and told them how utterly ridiculous it was that a person wasn't even able to entertain themselves by crocheting a harmless doily. They bought me a crochet hook. The size I needed too. I thought that was really nice but I am not allowed to crochet doilies on board though. :P Afghans or things that require a larger hook is alright, they say.:)

Melannie

I flew back to the US and took several hooks of all sizes with me because I brought 4 different projects (I have some major attention span issues when flying so I like the option to be able to choose - did only one thing both ways, but I knew I had the option). I've not had any issues, and even got my knitting needles (Sssshhhhh!!!) onto a flight to Spain!

No one has ever said anything about my crocheting - on the last flight the stewardess even sat down next to me for a little bit to watch me making a bookmark...I think that she was hoping for one to take home...wish that I had had a finished one with me! I always stick my hooks in with my pens and pencils in the front zipper of my carry-on.

Have a good flight!

Archived