Did I take too much on???

I don't know...I'm trying my best, but I'm getting nervous because I crochet so much sometimes my arm hurts.

I am working on a 24 12"square afghan for my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas. The squares are pretty detailed and I think it takes me about 4 hours per square. I've just finished the 7th square.

I'm also working on a 24 12"square sampler afghan for my son and daughter-in-law for Christmas. Every square is a learning process so it's kinda fun. I've done 6. Actually it's a pattern for a 12 square lapgan but I'm making 2 of each in opposite colors so it'll be a full afghan.

My daughter just told me she's expecting so now I'm half way thru squares for a baby afghan. I'm also going to make a layette to bring the baby home in.

My time limits seem like a while away but I garden quite extensively and once the weather breaks I won't want to work on my projects non-stop like I have been.

I haven't crocheted in many years and I have been non-stop since November when I came up with the idea to make a toy for each of my grandchildren and a sweater for each of my granddoggies.

Did I mention I work full time? How does anyone get so much accomplished without burning out or having their arm fall off???

Argggg, It's a labor of love, that's what I keep telling myself. But my house is now need of a cleaning overhaul and I have to get my seed orders done and I have to have a life too...Oh, well. Thanks for listening.

I'd love some input if you've got it.

You are not alone in your dilemma. I also work, and have a long list of half finished projects. And not just the crochet ones in my signature either.

I don't get arm pain, but my hands get numb from crocheting, so I can only do it for a short period of time before I have to do something else.

I reward myself with crochet time after I get some chores done. For instance, 30 minutes of chores, then crochet for 30 minutes, and repeat.

I don't know what I'll do when gardening season gets here either. Every once in a while I have a day or two free of crafts. I guess those will be gardening days, come spring.

It may help you to figure out how long you have to finish your projects and then make out a loose schedule so you can see that you are on track to finish on time. for example if you are making a 24 square afghan and you have twelve months to make it, you would need to do 2 squares per month. It looks like less work when you break it down. Remember to figure in the time needed for finishing.,

Thank you Cindy. I just have that "I want to do it all!" mentality right now. I like that 30 min on 30 min off idea. And I have thought about a schedule. I just didn't think about keeping it all within my physical limits.

Just plan your time. I work full-time also, so most of my crocheting is done at night. This year I'm determined to get aghans finished for my six nephews, so I'm starting now. I also have several other projects in progress. Put your deadlines first and work a little on the big projects as you go. You'll start to see progress, even if it's not at the same pace as it is now.

Next time, pick a blanket that isn't made from squares! :lol There are lots of lovely baby blankets that don't require all that weaving in. I'd go bonkers doing nothing but squares. Yes, they're portable and all, but after a while you want to just crochet something in a long, straight line. :P

There's plenty of time till Christmas. I'd agree, schedule time for each so you make some progress on each. Or, focus on one so you can finish one and ride the high from that accomplishment. Patty

Maybe you should join us in the Having Fun and Getting it Done 2009 CAL. It's spaced out quarterly but I've been planning by month instead. I list out all the stuff I'd like to get done and estimate the number of evenings it'll take me (Evenings being the 4 hour period between dinner and bed time). I'm working on an afghan for my mom. I don't have any real deadline but I've planned to do 20 squares a month and then spend a few weeks weaving in ends and sewing the squares together. If you planned out all your time you might see how much time you need to get all your goals completed. Even though I did 20 6 inch squares last month I did it in about 15 evenings and I've gotten so I can do them in about half the time of what I started with.

I tried to crochet an afghan for my niece by Christmas 2008 but did not make it. So I had to punt and get her something else, and the ghan is now ready for her 9th bday in February. Sometimes you don't make deadlines, and that's OK. This is a hobby. People realize you have to work and do other things, they'll understand.

Thank you all very much for the input and the help. I counted out till Holloween. That's 39 weeks and I have 35 squares needed for the two adult afghans. That's one square a week. I think from Halloween till Christmas is plenty of time to assemble the two afghans. I weave the ends in as I go cuz it'd drive me nuts doing nothing but weaving in. I'm going to aim for two squares a week (one during the week and one on the weekends) and when I finish the baby afghan (in the assembly phase now) I'll start on the layette.

I've also got some sewing I'm planning on doing for the baby. It's my daughter's first so I have all kinds of ideas :)

Archived