Does anyone have this book?

Guest Venus7505

Question

Guest Venus7505

It's the Leisure Arts Beginner's Guide Ripple Afghans to crochet

www.bowsinbloom.com/acart...nc=search2

I have made ripple afghans before,but I have tried to start this one(the one on the cover) 5 times now,and even had my mom try it to see if she knew what I was doing wrong,and she could'nt even get it to work out. Does anyone have this book or know what maybe I am doing wrong? Any help would be great!

Melanie :)

16 answers to this question

Does this look like what your pattern is supposed to look like?

post-13625-135897406979_thumb.jpg

I assumed that the row 1 stitches below the part of the pattern that you gave looked like this schematic

|o|o|o|ooo|o|o|o|ooo|o|o|o|ooo|o|o|o|

|=DC

o=chain

To crochet into a chain space, you insert your hook in the "air" under the chain stitch(es), pull up a loop, and complete your stitch over the chain stitch.

Pardon me if I'm being too basic, but a ripple is made by working even on the uphill and down hill, by making an increase (more stitches) at the crest of the hill, and a decrease (fewer stitches, or skipped stitches) in the valley. I don't have the book, but this is what I surmise after reading the part of the pattern you copied:

I've highlighted the crest in blue and the valley in red:

"(dc in next ch-1sp and in next dc) 3times,(2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch- 3 sp,(dc in next dc and in next ch-1 sp 3 times dec (dc in nextch-1sp and in next dc) 3 times,( 2 dc,ch 3, 2dc) in next ch-3 sp,(dc in next dc and in next ch-1 sp) 3 times"

I suspect the confusing part is the valley, at least I had to read it a couple of times to figure out that they omitted something which would have made it clearer. I believe what should be inserted immediately before the red text is "skip next x number of stitches in the row below until you come to a chain 1 space". The last stitch you made before that had been a dc in a ch-1 space, which by definition has to have at least 1 dc after it in the row below. Since I don't know what row 1 looks like, I don't know how many stitches to skip, but it has to be at least 1 DC...and if row 1 is symmetrical, I suspect you are skipping a dc, ch-3, dc to get to the next chain 1 space.

I hope I haven't confused the heck out of you...maybe I will try to make a swatch but I'll be 'winging' it for row 1.

I to tried this pattern and just did not click so I pulled it out and tried something different, but if someone does have it written out differnetly for row two I would love to have it so if I try it agian, maybe it'll go better.

I have the LEISURE ARTS beginners guide and when I read the instructions for row2 it makes no sense to me.(dc in next ch-1sp and in next dc) 3times,(2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch- 3 sp,(dc in next dc and in next ch-1 sp 3 times dec (dc in nextch-1sp and in next dc) 3 times,( 2 dc,ch 3, 2dc) in next ch-3 sp,(dc in next dc and in next ch-1 sp) 3 times; I am new at this I understand the basics have made several pieces but have not encountered anything like this. I don't know about spaces. Can someone help? thanks

Guest Venus7505

the instructions are not really confusing to me,it's just as soon as I start the 2nd row it doesn't work out as it's supposed to.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Archived