Gift idea needed--REVISITED [link to pattern added]

You may recall this thread, begun by me, about needed an idea for a gift (handmade by me) for my DD's college graduation this coming May.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90193

I was really planning to make the "star" afghan, and put her name, etc on it, sort of like the "walk of fame" in Hollywood (or wherever that is :lol). However, I am really unsure of how to add her name, short of cross-stitching it, which I will NOT do.

I did, however, run across this sampler afghan. I think it's pretty, and because the squares are each different, it would maintain my interest. I saved it as a PDF file, and cannot for the life of me figure out where to link to to show it to you!! Anyway, it's designed by Marianne Forrestal, and is called, simply, Crochet Sampler Afghan. SEE LINK BELOW! :)

I was thinking (yes, this is ambitious for me!! :lol) that I could add a note--or maybe even some sort of poem--about how the afghan has different textures, different squares, and how her life will be ever-changing, new experiences, different things, etc...anyway, is this a good idea, and has anyone made this particular afghan? I might even make it in the colors of her college....

What do you all think?

Edited to add link: I hope this works!! http://www.knitandcrochettoday.com/episodes/pdf/KTVSamplerC.pdf

While you might be stressing over what to make - just remember your daughter will love it because you made it. You could pick some of her favorite colors.

(My high school and college colors were predominantly red, I got really tired of red!)

Just my thoughts.

I think that looks like a beautiful afghan! If you still want to add her name, you could do it in a popcorn stitch. I have a few patterns for letters I have written. I would love to help you out if you'd like!

While you might be stressing over what to make - just remember your daughter will love it because you made it. You could pick some of her favorite colors.

(My high school and college colors were predominantly red, I got really tired of red!)

Just my thoughts.

Good point about her maybe getting tired of the colors, although her school colors are mostly navy and white....I think. I really like the shades of green in the afghan in the link; I could add some navy instead of that teal shade, or something. I have trouble picking out colors!! :think

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced I'm going to do this one for her. Just have to wait for payday to go get the yarn....

Archived