confused

may

ok, i can do the basic crocheting such as granny squares and blankets, but how do you experts get the motifs on the blankets , how do i follow a graph? i know i must sound like a right thicko, but i dont understand the Graph, is each square on the graph meant to be a stitch, or am i totally wrong .

my hubby wants me to make him a blanket for his chevrolet Asto van, with a motif of the chevrolet badge on it , how do i do it ?

Yes, you are right. Each square on a graph (when making a graph-aghan) respresents one stitch. You just need to decide what type. I always make my graph-aghans single crochet because I think the color changes look better. But others have used half-double and also double crochet. It is really your preference.

And no, you don't sound like a thicko, just someone who hasn't done this before and wants to learn... there is no such thing as a dumb question. :scrachinAsk whatever you want. :blah That's how you learn new things! :yes

There is a section on the forum that talks about it. :thinkI'm thinking clinic section, there is a 'sticky' in the section called Crochet Help

One of the biggest things to remember is that when you read a graph, remember which way you are going in your row, right side vs wrong side because whichever way means you read the graph from right to left and then the next row from left to right. Otherwise your color placement will get screwed up.

Take your time... it is fairly simple.

First thing you do is to make up a graph. I do mine in Excel, but you can do it on regular graph paper. For your picture, if you have a line in the picture or or making letters, it is better to make the 'line' more than one stitch, I prefer to make them at least 4 or 5 stitches wide or more. The more the better unless your 'picture' has a lot of lettering.

Anyhow, once you get it down on graph paper, then you need to figure out how many stitches you need on either side and top and bottom of the 'picture'. I generally just look at an old afghan pattern and see it starts with a chain of (ex. 158) Okay. So I count off on my graph how many 'stitches' wide the 'picture' is at the widest part. Say in this instance it is 50 squares or stitches. Then I subtract the 50 from 158 and know that I need to divide 108 stitch in half which is .... there would be 54 stitches on each side of my 'picture'. It's a good idea to make a square (imaginary or real) around your picture as you may be counting more than the 54 stitches on the row you start you color placement if it isn't the 'widest' part of your picture.

As an example I'll say that my graph-aghan is just going to be a giant letter T -- the widest part is the top of the T so when I start counting as I am starting at the bottom of the T, I need to crochet the 54 stitches and then crochet additional stitches to get to the line in the middle of the T, then I do my color change, then I change it back to the background color do the 'additional' stitches again to where the count from my widest part of the T is, then do the last 54 stitches. (hope this isn't confusing- if it is, let me know)

Then you need to decide where you want to place it in reference to top and bottom. If you want it centered, then once again I go to an old afghan pattern (make sure it is the same stitch type you are using -- single crochet -- double crochet, etc.) and for this instance I look at one that is all single crochet and it is (example only - as I am pulling this number out of my head) 250 rows (hey, I haven't had any tea yet! :shrug ) I then count my graph 'picture' squares from the widest point top to bottom and in this instance I'll make it 82... (Hey, I have a tall picture in mind :yes) Anyhow, forgive my morning humor... Okay 82 from 250 is 168, and since I want it centered, I want 84 rows below the 'picture' and 84 rows above the 'picture'.

I always write all this down on my graph too, then I don't have to try to remember! lol I also place an arrow every other row on the graph paper to remind me of which way I am counting to do my color placement when crocheting.

Then I just start crocheting. I try to start my first color changes for the 'picture' when I am crocheting on the 'right' side of my afghan as I think it makes the start look cleaner, but it's not a rule. And remember too, that you aren't writing on your afghan, you are crocheting with yarn so the edges of your picture are not going to be a knife edge change from color to color, dyed in a factory. It's suppose to look a little serrated. :yes

And above all else... enjoy yourself! I love making graph-aghans! :manyheart

If you have anymore questions, ask away!

Thanks all! They are really fun to make. I love watching my 'picture' taking shape!

A good thought to keep in mind if you don't have a picture you would like to graph, or make up on a graph, is that if you see a cross stitch pattern or a plastic canvas pattern that you'd like to put in a graph-aghan, then all you need to do with all the color changes is to make them one shade.

Example: all the blue shades make them just one shade of blue, all the shades of brown make them one shade of brown. Or if you need to, two shades, etc.

Keep in mind, you can also use filet patterns (not doing it as a filet) but using it as a graph. You just need to pick your colors!

I like to use some of the cross stitch patterns because there are so many pretty ones. You can even work up your graph-aghan putting little 'pictures' scattered all over it. Like different types of butterflies or flowers.

You can also expand graphs that are too small by making each square count for two stitches each direction.

I'm doing that right now, except that I had to do two stitches horizontally, and three rows for each row in the pattern! So the graph that started out as 100 rows is now 300 rows, but it's more the size the recipient wanted. (queen sized) :sigh It's a lot of work, but it's fun to see the picture show itself!

May I suggest starting out w/ a MUCH smaller graph first, to get your feet wet, and to learn the basics on before you have a HUGE afghan that you are working on. So you don't get overwhelmed.

Crochet Living has a nice cat pattern on here and on her blog .

Just a suggestion to help get your feet wet, but let you drown in the experience :)

Sandy

thanks for your help , at least the chevrolet badge is fairly easy, with straight lines . i dont think i will put the letters in, my hubby just wants the badge in the middle of his mexican blanket. And i was thinking of making the badge in part wool and part crochet cotten . The crochet cotten is silver which would make the badge look shiny like metal.

2_Chevrolet_Badge.jpg

thanks for your help , at least the chevrolet badge is fairly easy, with straight lines . i dont think i will put the letters in, my hubby just wants the badge in the middle of his mexican blanket. And i was thinking of making the badge in part wool and part crochet cotten . The crochet cotten is silver which would make the badge look shiny like metal.

2_Chevrolet_Badge.jpg

If it's washable wool then that would work but if it's not it would probably felt when you washed it.

Julee

If it's washable wool then that would work but if it's not it would probably felt when you washed it.

Julee

thanks for that , it is washable so hopefully it should be ok , not sure about the metalic crochet cotton though ?

Archived