Changing colours-what to do with ends?

Guest NatashaW

Question

Guest NatashaW

I was told I could crochet the threads into the pot holder I am making so when I changed colours I crocheted them into the next row. I hope you know what I mean. Anyway the project had a colour change every two rows and it's only single crochet so there are two rows of 30 single crochet and then change colour and then two rows of single crochet.

My problem is that with having the yarn crocheted in that way it made the one side (I crocheted the ends into) much longer then the other side. It's supposed to be square but it looks odd. Actually looking at the first piece where I actually weaved the ends in instead of crocheting them in I had the same thing happen.

Any idea what I can do different? How should I weave them in so it doesn't look so out of shape?

I can take pictures if you want to see them. I wonder if it's mostly visible since it's a 7.5" potholder.

Natasha

11 answers to this question

Probably the best thing to do would be to use a yarn needle and work the tails back into the stitches. If you are careful and work back into the same color yarn/thread as the tails, then the tail will be buried inside the stitches rather than just laying on top of them. Usually when I use a yarn needle I rarely am able to find where the tail was.

Guest NatashaW

Julie I did that with one and still found that it was a bit bigger though not quite as noticeable. It was just really frustrating with it only being 7.5" long and I had about 30 threads to sew in. I did the one with a needle and then the other one just crocheting it in.

SamplerLady I should try that then... maybe that would help it.

Natasha

Guest NatashaW

Okay so here is my project.

This is the first side I did when I had all the thread ends sticking out and I used a needle to weave them into the piece after it was all crocheted. See how it's nice and square? Although the side I weaved the yarn into is actually a bit longer but not noticeable.

crochet1.jpg

So this is the second one I did. I crocheted the ends INTO the next row so I didn't have to use a needle to weave the ends in but you can see from my picture that it's VERY uneven. It's from the extra thickness the crocheted yarn gave it... So what the heck can I do? Or what SHOULD I have done instead? Should I weave in all 30 threads with a needle next time? Because if so then I probably wouldn't do so many colour changes.

crochet2.jpg

Okay so my one friend suggested that next time I do a pot holder and there are two sides to it that I will attach together then I should just leave the ends and put them inside when I attach them together but what if I'm doing an afghan?

Natasha

I just always crochet over the ends whenever possible and weave when I can't. When I weave them in, I don't do it in a straight line, I go down, up, over and back, figuring that will make it less likely that it'll come unraveled with many washings. I've never had a problem with the woven or crocheted over ends distorting my projects though.... I'm not sure why that's happening to you :thinking2 Hopefully someone will have an answer...

Marvie

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifSome thoughts (based on my experiences) in no particular order:

(1) Just crocheting over the ends will not secure them and keep them from sliding out in the wash.

(2) It looks like you might have done two rows then changed colors? And put an edging on the finished product? Instead of cutting ends at each color change, let it hang while you do the next rows. Drop color two, pick up color one and continue on. Yes, there will be a line of threads showing on the sides, but those will be covered by the edging. This eliminates bulk and time weaving in loose tails.

(3) You can make a double thick potholder. However, tails still need to be secured. They will sneak out in the wash. And if they aren't secured it could unravel and come apart in the wash.

I don't think the second one is that much out of shape. I'm assuming these are made of cotton? If you're giving it as a gift, wet it, stretch in shape on the ironing board and iron it. Or wet it, stretch in shape on the ironing board and pin it down so it dries "in shape". (This process is called blocking.) Once it's wet, used, and laundered it will shrink a bit and adapt it's own shape anyway. If it's not cotton then throw in the washer and dryer and see what happens. Ironing acrylic yarn kills it. It looses all it's stretch and is very flat and limp. You can lightly steam acrylic to block it but be very careful. It doesn't take much heat to kill acrylic yarn. If you're using wool, follow the above cotton directions but don't iron. Steam it or let it dry naturally.

Oh, and the elves of crochet have things situtated that one can make the same thing twice from the same pattern, using the same hook, and the same yarn and it'll turn out differently. I'm making a sweater for EGS that is exactly the same as the one I made him last year except it's much, much larger. Same pattern, same hook, same yarn..... Go figure! :D

my thoughts on ends:

weave em in! that's the only way i have found to keep them secure through many washings.

may i add something about your lovely potholder?

have you ever tried "crochet on the double"?

you get the same exacte effect and only the normal 2 ends in the beginning and 2 ends at the end.... just a thought.

if you'd like to hear more about this or see something done, let me know :w-grin

I was always the kind of person who used their crochet hook to weave the ends in on a finished project.

Recently I read here that a tapestry/yarn needle should be used. The last five projects I have finished, were finished in this manner... and I have to say, I am sold on using the needle! Not only do they feel more secure... it just could NOT be any easier! :bounce

Blocking helps too.

:fc Good luck on getting your projects finished to your satisfaction. :))

i agree with sampler lady, since it is only 2 rows, just carry them along and then croceht the border over them. i do that all the time and it looks really good. i hope it works for you, good luck:loco vicki

everyone...

Now, I personally crochet over my ends...99% of the time, I do not have a problem with the ends coming out in wash...although like a previous poster said, it can happen...

I will say that, for me when that happens it's because I haven't left a long enough tail...

Weaving is fine and probably in the long run a better way...

Also have to add a nod to the fact that sometimes you'll get a different effect regardless of using same pattern, same weight yarn, same everything...for me, I always figure it's my personal tension...some people crochet and knit tighter and tighter as they go along, I'm the opposite...I tend to crochet looser and looser...

Archived