Holiday Yarns..........

lynned1952

I usually buy my yarns at JoAnn's, AC Moore, and WalMart.....you can imagine my surprise this holiday season when the only store that had any christmas yarn was AC Moore and then there wasn't that much! I was lucky to purchase early and I kept checking back to see if they were going to restock, but they never did. Did anyone else notice this?

Lynne

<><

Yes!!!! I thought it was just our area but sounds like it is pretty widespread. I could find some Bernat Christmas yarn at Ben Franklin. I could not find Red Heart Christmas yarn at all this year, even in the WalMarts that are in the smaller towns around here. You would think that would be a sure thing for vendors, especially around this time of the year.

Debbie

uwcheese

I have checked about 6 Walmarts and not one has any of the RH Christmas yarn...Boy what a disappointment this was...

One store that i checked last year at told me they found it just before xmas and put it out for 25 cents a skein ...So maybe it is just lost in their inventory ...

Same here in PA. Not one of the stores around here carried any Christmas Yarn this year. I looked at all of them. I was looking for the Bernat Handicrafter Cotton in the Christmas combo. :(

I think all the retailers have cut way back on what they ordered for the holidays. Every year we buy my son a "special" Christmas ornament to add to his collection and this year we had a very hard time finding the good single ornaments. We found many boxed sets but very few singles.

It amazes me that you can go into all the craft stores and find tons of scrapbooking stuff but yarn? forget it. I already have to order all my thread online, I guess yarn will also be an online only item. I just really like to be able to touch before I buy when it comes to the yarn.

TLOL,

Toni

To be able to find any of what I am going to call "old fashioned Holiday yarn" is a rarity. Other than the couple of colors from RedHeart Super Saver and I love this yarn in regular worsted, I don't think it is made anymore. Years ago Caron had beautiful regular acrylic holiday yarn (one was called Lace or Victorian Lace, am down to my last skein) that Michaels had on clearance way before Christmas and I picked those up as well as whatever else was available. The only yarns I have seen are cotton yarns and thinner holiday yarns from Herrschners. I remember Franks Nursery and Crafts (which is now out of business) had red/white/green skeins. I had a lot of those, many unlabeled (given in a donation to my group) and am almost out of those. RedHeart had holiday yarn a couple of years ago but it wasn't the quality (more of a cottony type feel to it with a silver or gold strand in it) as years ago.

You're right, you would think this would be a big seller since there are tons of crafters searching for this type of yarn.

LI Roe

The only holiday yarn I found this year was Bernat Handicrafter cotton. I was really looking for the Caron Simply Soft but never found that. Had I known it wasn't going to show up on shelves I would have ordered ILTY from Crafts Etc. or Herrschner's yarns. At least I would have gotten something.

I called Red Heart directly because I wanted to make a Christmas dress with the yarn that has the gold/silver floss running through it. The lady that I spoke with said that they didn't make it this year!

What's up with that?!!!

Archived