Fireman's Hat Ornament

Shellie

Fireman's Hat Ornament/Doll Hat

by Michelle Bogart

Materials

Size 3 red thread (you can use yarn or other sizes of thread too, it just changes the size)

Size 4 steel hook

Smaller yarn needle

Size 10 yellow thread for backstitching

Small embroidery needle for backstitching (so you don't actually sew through the stitching)

Crown

Start with a magic circle, Ch 3 and put 11 dc's in circle (12 dcs total). If you can't make a magic circle then use one of the other methods and be sure to crochet OVER the tail so you can pull it closed.

Rnd 1: Ch 3, FPDc in next dc; (Dc in next st, FPDc in next) around. Sl st in top of ch 3.

Rnd 2: Ch 3, Dc in same st; (FPDc in FPDc, 2 dc's in next st) around. Sl st.

Rnd 3: Ch 3, Dc in next dc; Dc in top of FPDc AND FPDc in FPDc (basically you know how you normally skip the dc behind a Front or Back Post? This time you don't skip it). (Dc in next two dcs; Dc and FPDC in same stitch) around. Sl st.

Rnd 4: Ch 3, Dc in next two dc's and FPDc; FPDc in FPDc. (Dc in next 4 dcs {including top of FPDc}, FPDc around FPDc) around. Sl st.

Rnd 5: Ch 3, Dc in next three dc's and FPDc; FPDc in FPDc. (Dc in next 5 dcs {including top of FPDc}, FPDc around FPDc) around. Sl st.

Rnd 6: Ch 3, dc in each dc and FPDc in each FPDc. Do NOT work in the Dc behind the FPDc's this time.

Rnd 7: Ch 1, FPsc in each Dc and FPDc around. Sl st in the first FPsc. (helps form the brim)

Rnd 8: Ch 1, turn, sc in each BL around. Sl st.

Front Brim

Row 1: Ch 2, turn, HDc in next 7 st. (8)

Row 2: Ch 2, turn, HDc across.

Row 3: Ch 1, turn, dec in first two st; sc in next 4; dec in last 2. (6) Do not turn.

Space 2 sc's in side of brim, Sl st in FL of first st on Rnd 8.

Row 4: Sc in FL of next 18 st. Leave the rest unworked.

Back Brim

Row 1: Ch 1, turn, sc in same st and next 6 st. Leave the rest unworked. (7)

Rows 2-6: Ch 1, turn, sc across. Do not turn or ch 1 after Rnd 10.

Sc 4 evenly down side of back brim. Sl st in FL of Rnd 8. Sc in FL around to front brim. Sl st in the first corner you come to. Sc 2 evenly up right side of front brim. Sc in each sc across the front of the front brim. Sc 2 evenly down left side of front brim. Sl st in the sl st at the corner. Sl st around to the back brim. Sl st one more time in the corner at the right side of the back brim. Sc 4 evenly up side of brim, sl st in the first sc you come to and fasten off.

Number Plate

Ch 7, turn, sc in the 2nd chain from the hook and across. (6 st)

Row 1-6: Ch 1, turn, sc across.

Row 7: Ch 1, turn, sk first sc and sc in the one after it. sc in the next 2 st, dec in the last two. (4)

Row 8: Ch 1, turn, sk first sc, sc in the next st; dec in the last two st. (2)

Row 9: Ch 1, turn, sk first sc and sc in the other st. Sc evenly around "plate" and sl st in the last sc. Be sure to put Ch 1's in corners to keep square shaping. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Notes on backstitching:

Pick one side or the other of the cables, only backstitch one side and keep it the same side on each one. To help with the shaping of the front brim, only sew the plate to the front of your hat about halfway down each side of the plate and along the bottom. This lets it stand up more. Don't sew it down all the way around. Enjoy!

Either fasten a silver string for hanging on a tree or make a doll to fit the hat. :)

You may sell the hats you make with this pattern but you may not sell the pattern. This is my own original design. I will do my best to help with questions but I am better at making these than I am explaining them.

post-15976-135897490607_thumb.jpg

post-15976-135897490612_thumb.jpg

post-15976-135897490614_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

This might be a long shot that this will be answer. I found this pattern last night and joined this morning and I'm stuck on row 3 of the crown, I'm not sure on what to do??

Welcome to the 'ville! :)

Basically you are increasing in this round. You will work a dc as you normally would, the you will make a front post dc in that same stitch. Hope that answers your question.

Archived