Lining Clothes?

I just wondered. I have never made a shirt or anything like that. I've made baby clothes, but thats different. I have a pattern for a beautiful coat from Crochet Today I think and I'd love to make it for myself. Its made with Simply Soft. so that won't be too heavy right? If it is heavy, won't it grow and grow and grow? And since its a coat, would you line it? Do you line clothing at all? I know it would probably be warm enough as is, I just wondered about the changing shape. i'm not gonna make it till after xmas (I hope)

If I were to line a crocheted garment (and I've never done so), I would only attach the lining at the top - in other words, for a top, at the shoulder seam and neck [which would work for your pattern, but not a lot of open front items], for a skirt only at the waist.

I don't think SS will 'grow and grow', I've not had that problem and I've made a couple of sweaters with it (though not that length). Homespun, however, would grow all the way to to the floor with that pattern (seriously - I speak from experience).

I don't think it needs lining. And, even though it says 'coat', that means different things in different latitudes....I moved to Oregon a couple of years ago from Calif. and lightweight dress blazers or unlined raincoat worked just fine for winter warmth in Calif. but not here!!. I'd consider this more of a cardigan sweater in your neck of the woods.

I've made Lilly Chin's Lace Dress with Caron SS, and it only grew a couple of inches with multiple wearings. But that was with a F hook. My guess is the larger the hook, the more it will stretch. The Caron will also tend to be fairly heavy as compared to the RH soft.

In the case of this "coat," I wouldn't line it. Lining garments is mainly for items that will be worn by themselves and you can easily see what is underneath (like the lace dress), or things that need extra stabilization (like bikini tops). True, it won't do you much good this time of year, but it should make a nice spring/fall coat.

Oh what a neat coat!

Actually I am going to start one similar to that using Bernat Softee Chunky after the new year, if you would like some motivation to keep going we could start a CAL. :clap I never thought about lining it. Caron SS does stretch a bit though and it is quite heavy, so maybe you could use something different like Vanna's Choice or RH Soft yarn.

Oh what a neat coat!

Actually I am going to start one similar to that using Bernat Softee Chunky after the new year, if you would like some motivation to keep going we could start a CAL. :clap I never thought about lining it. Caron SS does stretch a bit though and it is quite heavy, so maybe you could use something different like Vanna's Choice or RH Soft yarn.

Thats an idea!! I always have trouble making something for myself, I always figure it can wait. Maybe if I'm in a CAL, I'll actually do it!!:lol You know what? i think when I said SS, I actually meant RH Soft. And thanks to you guys, I'm not lining it. :)

I made my daughter a skirt and a pullover sweater out of SS and neither 'grew'. I washed them many times and the only problem I had was she outgrew the items. I have no idea how it would be on a sweater coat like that. While it's true it's not a coat, I wouldn't call it a cardigan because it's far too long and heavy for that. I too have thought about lining long sweaters for my daughter. I think it'd work. It just depends on your needs and desires.

:)

Archived