Size Chart for Baby Clothes

Sabra

Question

I don't know how many of us are designing baby clothes, but I figure at least that many are looking online for patterns for baby clothes. Too few of the online patterns I have seen have a "real" size on them though. For that reason and for those of us who design our own baby stuff, I'm putting here a size chart--keep in mind, these are the approximate measurements of a baby; finished garments will need to be at least a bit bigger (1/2" to 1" wearing ease around; you can probably get away with keeping the same lengths). The exception to the finished-garment-bigger idea is hats; those need to be pretty much the same circumference because they tend to stretch a bit. (Someone mentioned a grapefruit is just the right size for a newborn's head; I've found this to be true.)

I'm providing this info rather than linking to a chart online because I have personal experience with its accuracy, & I can't vouch for any I've seen online. If someone has similar info for preemies, please share it.

Newborn Measurements: Head: 14in (35.6 cm); Chest circumference: 14 in (35.6 cm); Back of neck to hip length: 8in (20.3 cm); Waist to ankle length: 12in (30.5 cm); Crotch to ankle length: 6in (15.2 cm); Sleeve length: 8 in (20.3 cm)

1 - 3 Months: Head: 16in (40.6 cm); Chest circumference: 16in (40.6 cm); Back of neck to hip length: 9in (22.9 cm); Waist to ankle length: 13 in (33 cm); Crotch to ankle length: 7in (17.8 cm); Sleeve length: 9 in (22.9 cm)

3 - 6 Months: Head: 17in (43.2 cm); Chest circumference: 18 in (45.7 cm); Back of neck to hip length: 10in (25.4 cm); Waist to ankle length: 13in (33 cm); Crotch to ankle length: 8in (20.3 cm); Sleeve length: 9in (22.9 cm)

6 - 9 Months: Head: 18in (45.7 cm); Chest circumference: 19 in (48.3 cm); Back of neck to hip length: 11in (27.9 cm); Waist to ankle length: 15 in (38.1 cm); Crotch to ankle length: 9 in (22.9 cm); Sleeve length: 13in (33 cm)

9 to 12 Months: Head: 19 in (48.3 cm); Chest circumference: 20in (50.8 cm); Back of Neck to Hip Length: 12 in (30.5 cm); Waist to ankle length: 16 in (40.6 cm); Crotch to ankle length: 10in (25.4 cm); Sleeve Length: 14in (35.6 cm)

As you can tell from the info, you go up about an inch for most measurements each size (difference being chest circumference jumps by 2 inches in the first 3 sizes).

Infant Shoe Sizes:

Note that these measurements are for the finished product, & length only.

Newborn: 3.5" (8.8 cm)

3 - 6 Months: 3.75" (9.5 cm)

6 - 9 Months: 4.25" (10.7 cm)

9 - 12 Months: 4.5" (11.43 cm)

I'll also note here that I've always put my newborns in booties with soles that measured about 3" & they were plenty big, but I tend to have small babies.

Sleeves are so variable I don't feel comfortable giving measurements for them! You're best off measuring something in ready-to-wear that has sleeves you like. Trust me that people don't look at you too oddly when you do this in Wal-Mart. ;)

Baby Blanket:

This is purely my own opinion here. You can of course make baby blankets in any size you want. Sizing them to fit a crib might be a very good idea, but I don't have any idea what size a crib is!

When I make baby blankets, I make them the same size as a receiving blanket. This is the size I have found most useful. A receiving blanket is 26.5 inches wide and 30.25 inches long. If you're making a blanket for a shower gift, I'm going to go way out of the crochet world and suggest you include some swaddling instructions. I'm a huge believer in this; it was the only way we could get my second daughter to nurse when she was a newborn.

13 answers to this question

One thing you dodn't address is the "rise" measurement for baby pants. This varies some depending on weather you are making the pants to fit over cloth or plastic diapers. Here is some general information for cloth diapering baby pants,

rise sizing..( this is the measurement from the front top of the waist band all the way to the top of the back waist band. )

Rise

Newborn/Small 14-16"

Medium: 18"

Large: 20"

XL: 21"

Judith

http://mommaknitsandcrochets.blogspot.com/

Thank you! I needed this information just this week, and put a project aside until I could go and look for it. Now you've saved me the trouble!

I am working from a very old pattern -- 1916! -- and the yarn is not manufactured anymore. There are no measurements given, of course, because they rarely are in old patterns. The gauge is proving hard to duplicate too. Add to that the fact that babies in 1916 might have been a bit smaller and I knew I needed some good modern measurements to go by or I would be sunk!

this looks like a great list and i was just thinking about this, i have a quick question though, you give the sleeve length and the crotch to ankle length but that is the circumfrence of those? i know it can change a lot depending on whether the baby is chubby of not but i would like a general idea. and i don't have a baby of my own yet so i can't measure something that fits well.

thanks

Glenda, welcome to the 'ville!  

There isn't a set number of stitches to use for a baby jumper of that size, it would depend on the yarn used and your personal stitch tension.

By jumper, do you mean an open-front cardigan or a pullover style?  

A while ago the BICO (Baby It's Cold Outside) sweater was very popular, it's a kimono style cardigan and is simple, it's a 6 month size.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-its-cold-outside

Here is a raglan style pullover, 6 and 12 month size.  Raglans are easy, plus no or very little sewing

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hurry-down-pullover

A couple of sets with cardigan

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lemon-drops-jacket

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sweet-baby-crocheted-baby-set

Archived