Super Bulky Yarn (Thick & Quick Chenille)

dhaunae

Question

OK, so I got a good deal on some Lion Brand Thick & Quick Chenille on eBay and thought why not, this should work up fast into a big snuggly blanket for my best friend, who is always cold in the winter. Started it yesterday and it DOES work up like plushy soft velvet, omg I love it, but I have a couple of questions if anyone else has ever used this yarn (or any superbulky really in the case of the second question):

1) Is there any way to keep it from twisting as I use it? The chenille is a kinda ribbon-like yarn, and I'd like to keep that ribbon relatively flat but it wants to twist and turn. I find myself spending as much time straightening the lay of the yarn as I do crocheting! Should I just not bother, or am I doing something wrong?

2) Will I ever get used to this huge hook??? It feels like I'm crocheting with a broomstick!

Oh yeah and ... to whoever came up with the idea of using empty tissue rolls to make center-pull balls, THANK YOU!

9 answers to this question

I haven't crocheted Chenille, but I did knit a scarf up with it and it still twisted. Like others have said, let it do what it's going to do. My scarf came out great regardless. I used size 15 needles and it was definetly awkward. But with time, it gets easier. I now have an easier time with larger hooks and needles...my hands don't cramp as quick. What I have difficulty with is the tiny ones. I love that yarn, but the biggest problem i had with it is it snaps relatively easy. I knit tight and had to tug on the yarn a bit sometimes and it would always break off. But it does work up super quick and so snuggly!! Good luck!

I know what you mean, as I'm currently working with ribbon yarn and I want it flat, but I've worked with that chenille and don't recall it being a problem. I wouldn't worry about it at all. And it's really nice stuff.

OMG! An afghan out of LB Chenille T&Q? :drool Lucky friend!

I shared both issues with you when I first started using this yarn, but don't worry about either of them. The yarn will lay where it will and the extra twists just give more light reflection points - no worries! The hook you'll get used to, but that's not necessarily a good thing if your next project is going to be made of thread! LOL! :lol

I haven't used Chenille, but did want to comment on the larger hooks.

I really prefer the larger ones (K & up; haven't used an *S* yet!)

I feel funny using anything smaller than G. I couldn't imagine using the steel hooks at all!

Thanks, ya'll; since everyone seemed to agree that I should quit worrying about the yarn wanting to twist, I did a couple of rows without worrying with it ... and they turned out FINE :yay The more I do on this the more I love how it's turning out. It'll be like snuggling under velvet, YUM, and the play of light on the yarn makes it look even more luxurious.

The big hook still feels weird though; maybe because I'm alternating between the T&Q afghan and my daughter's afghan which is using a G hook, so I never really get used to it before switching back to a smaller hook. I can't work on just one project though ... the earth might stop in its rotation or something and I can't have that on my conscience! :nahnah

Archived