Anyone do dog sweaters or coats?

This is a total new thing for me. I've been asked to do a sweater/coat for an aging Irish Setter. Such a sweet boy! He let me measure him and I almost couldn't pry him away so I could leave.

The pattern I WAS going to use is the easy dog sweater at

http://www.hook-and-hype.de/?page_id=72

There is no way his owner is gonna be able to pull a sweater over this guys long front legs! So I guess I go to the coat type. I found this:

http://www.******/crochet/doggie2.html

It is held on by a collar and a strap around the tummy. The problem here is that is goes up to 18" from neck to base of tail - my old guy is 25" long and I'm not sure how well the pattern will do with my adding 6 inches.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this type of coat/sweater for BIG dogs and can point me in the direction of a pattern or if anyone has successfully adapted a pattern for larger dogs?:hook

I have posted pics in the Show and Tell areas of the sweaters I have made for my dogs. My biggest is my service dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback (60 pounds). I made them with the tummy strap as well, adjusting patterns from Shelle's booklet, Dashing Doggie Duds. They're super-easy. I just work equally around like tonyal said.

You could use extra large granny squares to make the doggy sweater fit any size dog. Thanks again Jennifer(Tinkerpuppets) for this wonderful pattern!

Check out my little furry girl.... - Crochetville Forum

I think I might use a "G" or and "H" to keep the holes small and make granny squares with more rounds. Mine in the picture are 3 rounds. Maybe 6 rounds or 7 rounds for the larger dog.

Lubba - it's sounds so easy, doesn't it? LOL I have messed stuff up BIG TIME trying to add on!

Froggy - your girl is sooooo cute! Love that sweater - hate the thought of doing grannies! What a great way to use up left overs, though. Hmmmm.

Archived