Good shape hat for...

Hiya,

We pick names for Christmas in my family each year, since we have a BIG family and noone's rich. This year I got my mom :yay and I'd really like to make her a hat and scarf set. Scarf's no problem, but she has this problem that it's almost impossible for her to find a hat that looks good on her. And unfortunately, it's not just her being silly; she really has a hard time finding hats. :(

She's short and just a little pudgy, not fat by any means. She has very short, curly hair and a largish-sized head (which I inherited!) I wish I had a picture handy to show to help, but I don't; she's as camera shy as I am :blush A normal winter hat makes her look like a man, for some reason; in fact, she looks JUST like my Uncle Paul (which is what she went as for Halloween a couple of years back, it was hilarious! :lol)

So, if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated! :manyheart

Hooded scarves are great! :) Thanks for the idea! *grin*

I was going to suggest an oversized scarf she could cover her head with. That's what I have and I love it.

Steph

If she likes girly things you could add some tasteful crocheted flowers and then maybe she would look more feminine instead of looking like a man.

Good Luck!

-B

What about a hat with a little brim or flare to it? Might not be quite as warm but they are a little better at keeping drizzle or snow out of your face/glasses, and you can make the edge in a fancier, feminine stitch. Let me see if I can find a pattern as an example...

I don't think the stlye of the hat matters so much as the type of yarn you use for the hat. Even a plainish style hat would work if you used a "girly" yarn and add some girly embellishments such as flowers as someone else suggested. Here is a pic of a hat I made that no matter what, I don't think anyone could be mistaken for a man wearing it! LOL

I tried to find the pattern link but it seems to be hiding from me right now. :think If I come across it I'll update this post, but the point is to take a plain pattern and "girl it up" a bit with color. Hope this helps! :hook

2900695365_4205bac880_m.jpg

I have shoulder length curly hair, so regular hats and beanies look awful on me. My hubby always teases me about my big hair and hats. I found that slouch hats look much better with the curly hair. I especially like this one and after I made it, even hubby said he liked the way it looked on me.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_1&listing_id=15846865

I was thinking hooded scarf too. The length will give an illusion of height and have a slimming effect for the face. There are numerous free patterns for these.

Archived