How much yarn do I need?

ratdog

Question

Hi! I am thinking about making an afghan for a gift. The recipient is a big guy! I would like to make a 'ripple' (which I have never tried before) and would need to make a larger than standard afghan (about 78" long/ 60" wide)

Most patterns I have sen are for "throws" or Lapghans.

Any ideas for patterns and yarn quantity? I am thinking about Vanna's Choice or Thick and Quick.

4 answers to this question

Hello ratdog,

I am no expert, but I found a pattern for a easy ripple (think it's called beginners ripple) on line somewhere. Maybe at Bev's crochet cottage. What I would do is maybe double it or at least increase the width by half, and the same with the length. Ripples might be hard to double the pattern with. If I were doing this, I would get the patter for a 5 &1/2 hour afghan, and double it. It's a simple pattern, and would be easy to increase in size.Vanna's choice is nice, I am not familiar with Thick and quick.

Good luck, hope this helped some!

Debra

If you were thinking of a ripple with Vanna's Choice, there is a ripple pattern on the Lion Brand site using Vanna's Choice : http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70130AD.html

I used the quantities and size to calculate approximately how much you would need, I'll post my reasoning as well, so that if it is faulty, someone can correct it :D.

The pattern makes an afghan that is 42"wide x46"long and uses 9 skeins of VC yarn.

First I calculated the difference in desired width: 60/42 = 1.43 times the size of the afghan: 1.43 x 9 skeins = 12.85 skeins for a 60" wide x 46" long afghan.

Next I calculated the difference in length: 78/46 = 1.7 times the size of the wider afghan: 1.7 x 12.85 skeins = 21.845 skeins (or 22) for a 60" wide x 78" long afghan.

I reckon you could use this line of reasoning to expand and approximate how much yarn you would need for whatever pattern you choose... the ripple in question is a bit different to the normal patterns I've seen, so you might prefer a more standard pattern...

Cheers,

Archived