Scarves for the troops

StitchinCindi

Well now I know why I was crocheting so many scarves. I was just enjoying doing them and now they will go to a good home

I will get back to you when I can determine how many I can donate :cheer

How come we (I) always think its hot and dry there - do they have seasons where it gets cold?

How come we (I) always think its hot and dry there - do they have seasons where it gets cold?

I support troops through AdoptaPlatoon Soldier Support and some of the soldier's we have in Afghanistan actually get snowed in for 3 or more months at this time of year. Only way to get supplies in, is to drop from a helicopter.

Iraq has weather similar to ours. The seasons change and right now days are warm but nights are getting much colder. I know it is warm from May til November because we can't ship chocolate because it melts. :)

You can check out the weather for other countries by doing a websearch from any search engine. I do that when I'm trying to figure out what kinds of kids clothes to send out, for the appropriate season.

I would really recommend darker colors for scarves to our troops. They really do need to blend in with their surroundings for safety and bright colored scarves would make them walking targets.

I have been supporting troops all over the world for over 8 years and they always have asked for dark colored hats and gloves so it would make sense that scarves should be dark also.

I've heard something in the past that scarves and other items need to be made from a certain type of yarn (though I can't remember what yarn that would be). Do these need to be 100% cotton, wool, etc. or is acrylic fine?

The ones we made last year for someone on the ville had to be in the colors of the uniforms so they would blend in. I thought that they would only accept those colors in order for them to wear them while they are on patrol?

I dont remember seeing anything on her site about colors and type of yarn. But maybe since she has never done this before, she doesn't know what questions to ask.

In order to get her address, you need to email her so I did that last nite and will wait to hear back from her.

All my scarves are pretty colors, nothing dark!!! :eek

The scarves really should be wool and match the uniform if they are to be worn on patrol. If the soldier is in a fire the acrylic will melt to the skin and cause more damage. I don't know if they have down time where they can wear civilian clothing or not.

I received an email with the address that I should send the scarves to. I wrote back asking if there were any specifications regarding the type of yarn and colors, etc. I told him about Crochetville and the posts that were written.

He replied

"Thanks for the info. I have written an email to one of our contacts in Iraq and asked for official word on color and type of yarn. I will let you know as soon as I get a reply."

Cindi,

I received this information from our contact in Iraq.

I can let the troops use tan, gray or black. Wool or cotton materials; plastics stick to the skin if we have a vehicle fire.

Can you add this to your posting?

I will spread the word to others that are working on the project.

Thanks for your help,

Billy

CollinsClan of North America

Life Member

Thank You All,

Your fast and positive response to our Scarves for Iraq project has been great. Over the past week, with the help of the military, we have developed guidelines for the scarves.

Scarves must be made of wool or cotton. This is a safety issue. Other types of scarves can melt in a vehicle fire and stick to a soldiers skin.

Scarves need to be earth colors; brown, gray, tan, etc. This is also a safety issue. Earth colors blend in.

Scarves should be at least 4 feet long and not longer than 6 feet.

SEND SCARVES TO:

MARY SUE OTTINGER

POST OFFICE BOX 337

ROANOKE IN 46783

If you have several scarves and need help with shipping please email us. We can email a UPS pre-paid label.

If you have any questions or ideas please send them to:

webmaster@suescrochet.com

We plan on starting to send scarves the second week of December.

Take Good Care,

Mary Sue

Awesome project! Just e-mailed Mary Sue and I'm very excited to participate in a project like this that supports our troops and shows them that people outside of their families do still care for them!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived