I am intersted in a certain sewing machine model is this good for a first time user?

Jempast

I am thinking of buying a sewing machine. I found one at amazon I was wondering for those of you with more experience using sewing machines would this model be good for me and be good to use to sew the lining to my crocheted purses?

Here is the link. I know nothing about sewing machines. So I need you guys on here to tell me what you think.

Thanks in Advance!

It is tough buying sewing machines these days because they are not made with metal parts anymore like the older models. For the price of this machine, I would suspect that the gears are plastic and when they go, the machine will require big repair bills. If you are going to just mend and sew a bit, it might be okay. I think Brother is a basically good machine. Don't expect to sew heavy things with this like denim and drapes etc. It might not have the power or be able to adjust the presser foot tension to sew heavy things. Maybe you could do a search on this machine and see if there are any owner comments. I bought a machine a few years ago from ebay and I bought a machine called a Necchi. It's foreign made. My mom had one since 1945 and still has it. I thought maybe it would be built better than some of the ones now. It is much better, but it still is not a heavy duty machine like my old Kenmore. Good luck on your quest!!!

I have a older singer one and also a the brothers that goes for 99 @ walmart.the brothers is great for sewing dress and toys etc on it with light weight materials. its easy to follow instructioins and threading the bobbin is a snap and so forth. I think it is the best for a beginner you arent spending alot of money.. also why not check with the local goodwill or thrift shop they sometimes have some in there and its just older poeple that dont use them anymore.

If you have a local sewing machine dealer, it is really better to buy from them. They will stand behind products, answer questions, offer classes. Most brands of machines have affordable models. (As for the brand, I have generally heard good things about Brothers.)

I have always bought a Singer brand sewing machine. I've found they are reliable and I haven't had any problem with mine and I've had it for years. Mine is just a very basic machine with some fancy stitching but that's about it. It does what I want it to and that is to sew. Hope this helps you. Cathy:)

Archived