Which Thread will Last the Longest

rshseaeagle

Hello all,

My Son is getting Married next July and I am thinking about making him and his new wife a tablecloth for a wedding present. (It's between this and the wedding ring quilt right now) :blush

My Question is what would be the best thread to use? I always make my doilies and such from DMC Cebelia. I can really tell a difference between this and some of the other less expensive brands. I do use the less expensive brands for things like snowflakes etc. but want to be sure that if they use this tablecloth that it will last over the years.

I have a beautiful tablecloth my grandmother made me but have always been afraid to use it because I don't want it to fall apart. (it is VERY old)

I want my son to be able to use this and not put it away somewhere like I have with my grandmothers.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. As you all know a tablecloth is a large project and I really want it to be something special for them to have and cherish for many years to come.

Thanks in Advance for all your help. I know your experience and knowledge will help me make this important decision.

LOL, :manyheart

Toni

My guess would be that it would be ok to use DMC or one of the lesser threads.

I have a tablecloth/bedspread that my great grandmother made in the late 1800/early 1900s. Yes there are a few stains that I am not sure will come out but I have used this (just disquised most of the stains with runners and mats). We are a poor family so I am assuming the thread she used was not very expensive. This table cloth has held up for just about 100 years and now is very delicate, but I would be too for being 100 years old :)

If you are looking for the best thread for durability I would suggest DMC Cordonnet, It is a 6 ply thread compared to Cebelia being a 3 ply. This gives it added strength and durability. It is not as common as the 3 ply threads as it is more expensive and it doesn't come in much of color choices. white and ecru. But if I want really good thread I look for a 6 ply thread. I have used if for some of my Irish crochet work that I want to last a long time. It used to be a much more common thread and I am sure a lot of the lovely peices we have been handed down are made with this type of thread.

If you are looking for the best thread for durability I would suggest DMC Cordonnet, It is a 6 ply thread compared to Cebelia being a 3 ply. This gives it added strength and durability. It is not as common as the 3 ply threads as it is more expensive and it doesn't come in much of color choices. white and ecru. But if I want really good thread I look for a 6 ply thread. I have used if for some of my Irish crochet work that I want to last a long time. It used to be a much more common thread and I am sure a lot of the lovely peices we have been handed down are made with this type of thread.

Katchkan, I've noticed that on some of my old things. The thread is of very good quality, and is often more than 3-ply. I have some old thread of this high quality which I'm saving for a special project. I have some Cordonnet, too, and it's amazing to look at it with a magnifying glass, comparing it to Cebelia, or threads from another company. You can see why one would want it for heirloom projects.

• 2 weeks later...

But even Cébélia is many steps above the really cheap stuff you get at discount stores. I have part of a tablecloth one of the women in my husband's family crocheted and you can really see the difference in Cébélia and whatever this remnant is made from. Maybe someday I'll try the Cordonet, too, upon Kathy's recommendation.

Archived