Question about donating chemo caps and scarves to dr.'s office.........

Jempast

I am wanting to donate some caps and scarves to the doctor who cured my husband's cancer. My husband says before contacting the doctor's office I should have something to show them. Should I call before I make something or make something and take it in person and ask them about donating caps and scarves??

Also what type of yarn would be best for chemo caps?

I would think that you could just call and talk to them to ask what they need. Having been through chemo and having no hair for over a year, I would suggest that they are soft. It's true, the skin can get pretty sensitive. Also, I'd suggest that they don't have any larger holes. Some people don't like having any skin showing through.

It's really nice of you to do this. :hug Call them. Oncology offices are generally pretty nice (in my experience). Good luck!! :)

Just a little note here too... I love using soft yarn for chemo caps, and have found that Hobby Lobby sells a couple of really nice ones in Yarn Bee brand, usually on sale for $1.99. Also, this week, they're selling "I Love This Yarn" for $2.29 I think, which is a savings of about 50 cents. It's soft like Caron SS, but it's thicker like Red Heart. To me, it's the best of both worlds, and is a fun yarn to use. I think it would be soft enough, but maybe someone else can add about that one. Anyway, good luck!! :) You're doing something that will really help make a lot of people feel better!

My husband has an appointment this Friday to have blood work done. Should I wait till then and talk in person to the doctor's office?

Yes, I think this is the better approach rather than just coming in with something or calling on the phone.

My oncologist does not take donations such as this -- he refers donors to a specific charity. I wonder if they do something like wash the caps and disinfect them before distribution. When I got chemo, my white blood count was zero at times. I would never been allowed to simply wear a hat from a stranger.

Archived