How to hold yarn...

I'm attempting to teach my SIL how to crochet. It's my first time teaching crochet, so any help is greatly appreciated.

See, she gets the gist and has done sc rows, but she can't grasp how to hold the yarn to make it easier. I've tried showing her how I do it, but she can't figure it out.

Any suggestions/site that show a variety of way to hold the yarn? Or does everyone hold it the way I do and it's just something she'll have to figure out herself? I don't remember how hard it was for me to learn that aspect...

But, if I can help her, I'll have finally found a crochet partner! She wants to learn and apparently has the ability, it just takes her a while.

when i first started crocheting i couldnt hold the yarn either, i just let it flop around lol

as i got more skilled with the hook my hands decided they knew what to do, like they grew some confidence :P

i now hold all the yarn in one hand and hook with the other, and that works for me :D

she probably just needs to get more comfortable with her own style, then she can figure out what works for her

good luck! and hooray for crochet partners! :cheer

I don't hold my yarn the way that it shows to hold it in the books etc.....wrapped around the pinky finger and then in and out between the other fingers or however it is done :lol:lol And funny that you mention this as I was just looking at this in my crochet book last nite and I tried the way the book said and it just doesn't feel right :lol Many many years ago when my grandmother taught me, I just found an adaptation of that variation of yarn holding that was comfortable for me. IMHO, I don't think there is "a right or wrong" way to hold your yarn or hook. I am a firm believer in whatever feels comfortable and good for the individual. Good luck in teaching her, and congrats on your new found crochet buddy. The more she crochets and plays around with it, she will eventually find a comfortable fit. Just don't let her give up.

:cheerI would not recommend holding your yarn as in the You Tube video because you will suffer from sore fingers very quickly if you have to keep your finger so stiff.

Here is a video of how I hold my hook and yarn and I can crochet for hours on end without getting cramp.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=Swimmingsocceretc.flv

This is not the best video because my husband got a bit carried away at the start but it gives you an idea.

Hope this is a help to you.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

when I'm teaching someone, I let the yarn dangle off the hook from the slip knot and say "now pretending your left hand is scissors, cut the yarn"....when this is done, the yarn is a proper position...what is over the pointer is attached to the hook and what is between the pointer and the middle is coming from the skein....therafter, I show them that the yarn from the skein end can either be "grabbed" by making a partial fist of the pinkie and ring finger, or, can be laced under the middle finger and over the ring finger and left to dangle between the ring finger and the pinkie. I can tell you that time and time again, my students say out loud "cut the yarn" and mimic a scissors with their left hand. I have found this very helpful. I only have one student who preferred to wrap, in her own fashion, the yarn around her pointer...it gives her tension....however, she occasionall "slips" back to doing it the way I showed her, but I don't force her to do it any one way or the other...whatever becomes most comfortable....same thing with holding the hook; while I prefer knife style, others can and do prefer pencil style, and as long as they are achieving the intended result....I'm happy.

Archived