Need Yarn Advice

Carradee

I've decided I like the entire "crochet gifts for friends" thing (especially since I have some friends who I know would love certain things I've had ideas for making, lately. Well, I have one friend who I want to make a belt for. I already have some wood beads for it, though I'm thinking I'll need to get more.

This particular friend is very Boho and a bit "green" in her clothing style. I mean, really—mismatching bright colors and wood jewelry all the way. Last time I bought her something, I asked the assistant manager at Claire's® for help. I have figured out that if I recognize something as her "style" and don't like it, she will. (Seriously, the bracelet I liked least, she happens to love and wears it all the time.)

So, I want to make her a belt, I know I have to dislike the end result for her to like it, I even have a vague idea for the design already. (Her birthday's in January.) I've also realized that, for her to like it best, I'll need to work it in some natural fiber(s).

"So what's her problem?", I'm sure you're wondering by now. Well…

*whispers* I've never actually worked with a natural fiber yarn. :blush

Okay, there was one case of a wool blend, but that's my extent of natural experience. I've always used the cheapo synthetics, and I've only recently started realizing I really need to find ways to use up all this cheapo stuff so I can get a stash of nice stuff. (Limited storage space.)

What kind of natural fiber yarn (or thick thread) would work well for a Boho style belt?

Thanks!

It's what she's called it—Bohemian, I think?

That's what she says, and she's the one who reads fashion magazines. *shrugs*

I think of it as wacky bright colors (especially prints) tossed together with lots of wood. Neutrals of choice seem to be coffee-brown and cream.

I love working with Sugar & Cream Naturals (100% cotton )- they have some great earthy colors and the cotton yarns (imho) are very sturdy and *I* think would make a great belt! and go wonderfully with wood ANYTHING!

You may find it a little stiff at first ( especially if you're used to working with acrylics) but after a bit it should be easy as pie to work with.

Archived